PDA

View Full Version : New Handwheel

Dale Bright
12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I turned a cherry handwheel for the Oneway this morning. It is 1 1/4" thick and 8 1/2" in diameter. I mounted it on a Don Pencil face plate.

Dale

Jon Prouty
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM
nice... the cherry is gonna look better and better with age.

Jon

Ron Stadler
12-22-2010, 1:24 PM
Now theres a thought, I keep looking for a faceplate large enough for a hand wheel for mine but duh, I could just turn one. Very nice job on yours, looks great.:)

Tim Thiebaut
12-22-2010, 1:57 PM
I think that looks great, was the original one that size? Very nice job on that, I would love to get some cherry to try turning soon, may have to make a trip to the store and grab some.

Dale Bright
12-22-2010, 2:26 PM
I think that looks great, was the original one that size? Very nice job on that, I would love to get some cherry to try turning soon, may have to make a trip to the store and grab some.

Thanks for the kind remarks. The Oneway lathes come with a double ended spindle and no handwheel. My lathe is set up to turn on either side of the headstock. All I have to do is change the handwheel to the other side.

Dale

Tim Thiebaut
12-22-2010, 2:29 PM
Is that so you can do in-board turning on one side, then mount it on the other end of the spindle for out-board turning, without needing to have a swiveling headstock?

Dale Bright
12-22-2010, 2:44 PM
Is that so you can do in-board turning on one side, then mount it on the other end of the spindle for out-board turning, without needing to have a swiveling headstock?

Yes that is what it is for. I have a 17" bed on the end so I can turn from the outboard end and face straight on to the piece. Here is a pre handwheel pic.

Dale

charlie knighton
12-22-2010, 4:28 PM
congratulations, looks like you are settling in with your new lathe

Jon McElwain
12-22-2010, 6:45 PM
Was the Don Pencil faceplate one that you had, or did you buy it for the handwheel? Just wondering why you did not go with the Oneway handwheel hub? Nice looking handwheel by the way! Do you like the dimensions? Have you had a chance to turn with it much?

Dale Bright
12-22-2010, 7:09 PM
Was the Don Pencil faceplate one that you had, or did you buy it for the handwheel? Just wondering why you did not go with the Oneway handwheel hub? Nice looking handwheel by the way! Do you like the dimensions? Have you had a chance to turn with it much?

Jon,

I bought the face plate for this but it was also a little less money than the Oneway hub. The main reason is that the face plate puts the handwheel farther from the headstock and the indexing pin. I turned the handwheel this morning and then turned a few bottle stoppers. I like the hand wheel size just fine. A good friend of mine has a 2436 with a similar handwheel and I made mine just a 1/2" larger in diameter.

Dale

joel nucifore
12-23-2010, 6:21 AM
will have to put that in the file to do..had a mustard which came with it but thinking about going mayo this year...
any complaint with your oneway lathe

Dale Bright
12-23-2010, 8:29 AM
will have to put that in the file to do..had a mustard which came with it but thinking about going mayo this year...
any complaint with your oneway lathe

No complaints, Joel, I really like it. I have turned on all sorts of lathes, Oneways, Stubbys, Robust and several sizes and vintages of Jet and Powermatic. The Oneway is a s good as it gets. I really liked my Jet 1642 2 HP but the Oneay is such and amazing differnce in quality and capabilities, I am glad I spent the money (a lot of money) to upgrade.

Dale

John Fabre
12-23-2010, 2:19 PM
Very nice Dale, I made mine with a 3" stainless steel faceplate.