PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this?

Lou Morrissette
01-05-2005, 6:21 PM
I found this in a box of tools I bought. The only markings on it is Made In USA. Being an electron burner, I've never seen one like this. Sorry for the poor photography.

Lou

Mark Singer
01-05-2005, 6:28 PM
A 78! Rabbett plane

Corvin Alstot
01-05-2005, 7:45 PM
The toe on your 78 plane looks like it was made by a non-stanley company.
Its a pretty handy plane if you judge by the number produced.
Here is a picture of the stanley version.
Sharpen up the blade and give it a try, I think you will like it.

Carl Eyman
01-05-2005, 7:55 PM
I bought one at an auction 20+ years ago in Wisconsin. Mine also is a no brander. It works well and even though I tend to be an electrom burner, I find lots of places it works well.

Lou Morrissette
01-05-2005, 8:42 PM
Thanks, guys. What is the slot for in the front? I'm guessing it allows you to move the blade to the front for getting into corners.:confused:

Lou

Mark Stutz
01-05-2005, 9:34 PM
Lou, that's precisely what it's for. Makes it a bull nose rabbet plane.

Danny Jennings
01-05-2005, 9:57 PM
Lou,
The front "thumb rest" was a feature on Sargent made versions of the rabbet plane. It can also be seen on Craftsman branded planes made by Sargent for Sears. This feature was supposed to make it easier to use than the Stanley version. The cap iron doesn't look familiar though...it may be a later model. Not sure when Sargent quit making these planes or who else they made them for.

Rick Whitehead
01-06-2005, 7:46 PM
It looks identical to my Craftsman rabbet plane. On mine, only the iron is marked"Craftsman". Have you tried cleaning the iron and seeing if it is marked?
Rick

Lou Morrissette
01-06-2005, 9:36 PM
It looks identical to my Craftsman rabbet plane. On mine, only the iron is marked"Craftsman". Have you tried cleaning the iron and seeing if it is marked?
Rick
By golly, Rick, you're right! I had not removed the iron until now. It is marked

Craftsman 8L

Can you tell the age from this?

thanks

Lou

Lou Morrissette
01-06-2005, 9:38 PM
Could it be 78 and they marked it upside down?

Lou

Rick Whitehead
01-07-2005, 8:46 PM
Yours is identical to mine, except yours has the depth stop and mine doesn't.
Sorry, I can't help with the date. I don't have any reference material on Sargeant.I think there is a website somewhere on Sargeant planes, but I don't remember where I saw it.
Sharpen it up and use it! I'm sure you'll find it useful.
Rick