PDA

View Full Version : Sealing properties of Waterlox?

Philip Florio
12-22-2010, 9:23 AM
In one of my projects I have some padauk wood. Before finishing I sanded to 240 grit, to clean I used compressed air and mineral spirits. On my 4th application of Waterlox the cloth is still picking up the color of the wood. How is this happening when Waterlox sealed the wood with 3 previous coats? Phil

Scott Holmes
12-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Are you applying the Waterlox as a Wipe-on? May be the color of the Waterlox you are seeing.

Steve Schoene
12-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Another question or two. How far apart in time were the coats? Did you sand between coats at any time? What grit? And, it you apply the Waterlox in the same room that you blew the dust into the air? You may notice I am grasping at straws, since your observation is surprising to me.

Philip Florio
12-22-2010, 1:17 PM
I know it's not the Waterlox, this is the distinct color of the wood. I am wiping the finish inside the house, so it's not the dirty environment of the garage. I'm applying 5 coats, the first two 12 hours apart, the rest 24 hours apart. After the 3rd coat I'm buffing it.

Trevor Howard
12-22-2010, 2:32 PM
The only time I used Waterlox, I applied 2 coats of there sealer 24 hours apart. Then 5 more coats of there High Gloss, each 24+ hours apart. This was on red oak, with two coats of Min wax Old English Stain. Never experienced the color lifting. I did use cheap foam brushes. Waxed finish after 0000 wire wool wipe down.

Scott Holmes
12-22-2010, 4:16 PM
Is the finish drying properly? IF not a seal coat of shellac may be in order.

Philip Florio
12-22-2010, 11:58 PM
There doesn't seem to be any indication of it not drying. Can I use de-waxed shellac to topcoat?

Scott Holmes
12-23-2010, 12:06 AM
To top coat? Well, sort a of... you can use dewaxed shellac as a barrier coat between dissimilar finishes but the Waterlox is more durable than the shellac.