PDA

View Full Version : Weed Pots

Gary Max
01-05-2005, 6:21 PM
I have been working on turning up a bunch of these Weed Pots.
Here is the first bunch of them---I want to get a 100 of them turned,
All are Cedar and are finished with Polly.

Joe Mioux
01-05-2005, 6:28 PM
Gary:

Those look like really nice bud/flower vases. Are the inside of the vases waterproofed?

Joe

Anthony Penchetta
01-05-2005, 6:50 PM
Great looking pots Gary. I like they way they are all turned different. Something for everbody's taiste :) Now if you would just call them vases instead of weed pots, you just might get more money for them :D Anthony

Gary Max
01-05-2005, 6:56 PM
Joe I have round tubes that fit them but can not decide if I want to use them or not.
It seems like that would just add to the cost.They have a coat of finish on the inside and all of them hold water.

Anthony--they really are called weed pots---of cousre at a show they will be Hand made Vases--and they will have the plastic flowers in them.

Joe Mioux
01-05-2005, 7:33 PM
[QUOTE=Gary Max]Joe I have round tubes that fit them but can not decide if I want to use them or not.
It seems like that would just add to the cost.They have a coat of finish on the inside and all of them hold water.

Gary: You need to test them. If they hold water for a two weeks, the life expectacy of the longest lived fresh cut flower, then you will be fine. If the vase weeps moisture through, then you have a problem and will need the liner. I would recommend you use a liner, just to play it safe.

You would not want the vase to fail and not hold water or wick moisture through onto a piece of furniture

Hope my input helps
Joe

btw: what are you charging for those vases?

Chris Padilla
01-05-2005, 7:40 PM
lol...weed pots...funny name that forced me to look at the thread 'cause I was just curious exactly what a weed pot was..... :)

Gary Max
01-05-2005, 8:13 PM
I have only got 25 of them done. They are going to run from $20.00 to $30.00 selling them one at a time.
Joe that's kinda why I bought the plastic flowers---no water.
It's funny but the flowers are cheaper than the tubes.
I guess I will just have to see what the demand for liners is at the show. I had went through a lot of trouble to get the right size hole in them to begin with. I drilled it in three setps to reduce the stress on the Cedar.

Hank Walczak
01-05-2005, 9:48 PM
Gary - Bring the tubes with you and sell them as accessories for those that might want fresh cut flowers in them. Problem solved!!:D

Joe Mioux
01-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Gary:

there are all sizes of water picks (tubes). water picks are cheap. Since i don't know the diameter and depth of your vases, I can not give you a good source for inexpensive tubes. Give me some dimensions and I probably can find you a cheap source for the liners.

Joe

Gary Max
01-06-2005, 1:37 AM
Joe if I could find a liner for a 3/4 inch hole--6 inches tall---that would be great.
I was thinking that the tube would also have to stand about 1/2 inch tall that the Pot.
Do you agree?

Joe Mioux
01-06-2005, 6:13 AM
Joe if I could find a liner for a 3/4 inch hole--6 inches tall---that would be great.
I was thinking that the tube would also have to stand about 1/2 inch tall that the Pot.
Do you agree?
No, do not have the tube protruding above the pot. You never want the mechanics to show. Something really close to the 6" x 3/4" water pick is available.

The larger the tube the better. Remember some fat flower stemss will displace as much as 85-90 pct of the water from the tube.

Gary Max
01-06-2005, 7:27 AM
Where would I go to get this information
The reason I am doing this onsite is because I am sure others have the same questions.
Thanks for all the help---I have found that watching the small stuff sure helps with sales.

Pete Kekel
01-06-2005, 9:12 AM
Gary -
Good looking weed pots. I think these are usually used with dried flowers, hence the name. For inserts you could use thin walled vinyl tubing cut to length with one end melted together. Cheaper than the glass tubes.

Good luck with your sales.

Tom Stover
01-06-2005, 9:19 AM
Good looking weed pots Gary. You should put dried cattails or ornamental grass in them so you don't need water. Tom

Joe Mioux
01-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Gary: Go to a local flower shop, chances are they will have some or can get some for you. The ones that come on spray orchids are big. If you are lucky your local florist will have some and give them to you. I get so many water tubes in on various flowers that I throw certain sizes away, while a buy other sizes. If you have to buy some they should cost less than 25 cents.

Gary Max
01-07-2005, 4:42 AM
Thanks for all the help and information Joe. I knew the cost would not be high I just was not sure if I needed them. But if it helps make sales---I need them.