PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite NE bowl

Kathy Marshall
12-21-2010, 11:52 PM
This was turned from a thinner section of a mesquite log, the pith was way off center, so when I split the log at the pith I ended up with a thick blank and a thin blank. It's 8 1/2" x 7" x 2 1/2".
When I was shaping the underside there was a crack that I wanted to turn away. When the crack was gone I was left with a foot which I could have turned away, but decided I kinda liked it.
It originally had all the bark on, but while doing the finish cuts on the inside edge about a 2" chunk went flying. When I stopped the lathe I noticed that all of the bark was loose so since I couldn't find the flying chunk, I went ahead and pulled the rest off (it came off in 1 piece).
Finished in DO and just a couple light coats of WOP. I kinda liked the rustic look so didn't want to go glossy on the inside, I went ahead and buffed the outside but in the pic it appears glossier that it is (got a photo tent on order so hopefully this is the last of the "eyes" pics!).

Thanks for looking!

Doug W Swanson
12-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Pretty bowl, Kathy.

I like the little foot because it shows off more of the bottom.....

Mark Hubl
12-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Another winner Kathy. Nice job on centering the grain, consistent wall thickness and foot. I am foot neutral, I think it works on some pieces and on others not so much. It works here for me, nice size, good lift and it provides a little elegance to a very organic piece. Nice work.

P.S. I put a presentation I did on Photographing your work up in my photo albums. It is a little cryptic, but may have a couple of pointers that will help you out when you get your new tent. Good luck.

John Keeton
12-22-2010, 7:15 AM
Nice job, Kathy! I think the foot provides some lift to this piece and works. I look forward to seeing some pics with your new photo setup!

Fred Belknap
12-22-2010, 7:44 AM
Great job, I like the shape and you did an outstanding job the finish. I think bark is way over rated, especially when I knock a piece off and can't find it.:D

Roland Martin
12-22-2010, 7:59 AM
Very well done, Kathy! As Mark noted, the centering of the grain is excellent and definitely think the foot was a good call.

dan carter
12-22-2010, 9:27 AM
Nice job. Nice piece of wood.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2010, 9:30 AM
Kathy that is really a nice piece. Well done.

Michael James
12-22-2010, 9:56 AM
Another nice one! You are doing us desert dwellers proud. With your commitment to turning, a light box will be an invaluable investment for you!
Thanks for posting and Merry Christmas!
Michael

charlie knighton
12-22-2010, 11:03 AM
very nice, gotta love that mesquite

Ron Stadler
12-22-2010, 1:27 PM
Nicely proportioned natural edge bowl Kathy, looks great.

Jim Burr
12-22-2010, 1:38 PM
The foot is still drawing me in Kathy. Great curve moving up. Really well done!