PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Stick (et al)

Lee Koepke
12-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Here's the hiking stick I made my nephew for Christmas. First time trying to turn several segments ... not realizing how amazingly difficult it would be to not only keep the diameters the same between turnings (which I managed to do) as well as keeping the lines straight. Then the twist of adding the brass cane hardware ... THATS where the tough part came in. Six tries later, I finally got close. The 'handle' is a piece of mesquite that my brother had given me, the stick part is walnut with maple accent.

Hope he likes it !!!

(ps, I added some flat pictures of my niece gift / brother gift too )

David E Keller
12-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Nicely done, Lee. Looks like you've got some lucky relatives this year.

Baxter Smith
12-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Nice job on both the round and flat!

Jim Underwood
12-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Here's the hiking stick I made my nephew for Christmas. First time trying to turn several segments ... not realizing how amazingly difficult it would be to not only keep the diameters the same between turnings (which I managed to do) as well as keeping the lines straight.

It is tough isn't it? It gives you respect for those who can turn 50 balusters all the same... Good job!

Hope he likes it !!!

Oh he will!

Mark Hubl
12-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Very nice. I am sure the gifts will be treasured.

Ron Stadler
12-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Nice looking walking stick, I'm currenty putting together a cane myself for girlfriends mom. Not going to be done in time for christmas though.:(

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Nicely done! Turning multiples of anything ....ie same diameters or same profiles is the most difficult type of turning IMHO. While artistic turning requires a certain artistic skill, multiples requires exacting turning skills because there are severe penalties for "design change opportunities"!

Very nicely done!

John Keeton
12-22-2010, 7:11 AM
Lee, looks like you are coming along quite well with this turning thing!! Nice work on the walking stick - and, the flatwork, too!! I recently acquired one of the Versa chisels/gouges from PSI, and I really like using it for getting a smooth, level surface on a cylinder. Behaves like a very well disciplined skew without the occasional tantrums a skew will throw!;):rolleyes: In other words, it requires less of me to get a good cut!:D

Lee Koepke
12-22-2010, 8:39 AM
Thanks for the kind words! I have enjoyed learning. Trying a little bit of everything to find what I like ( and more importantly, what likes ME)

I will look into that gouge, John ... the Mrs has requested a rolling pin, so that may be enough of an excuse to buy a new tool !!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2010, 9:42 AM
Looks great Lee. Looks like you are getting this down pat.

Jim Underwood
12-22-2010, 9:58 AM
I will look into that gouge, John ... the Mrs has requested a rolling pin, so that may be enough of an excuse to buy a new tool !!!!

Oh yeah! You should use this as an excuse to get a nice belt sander... As Jim Duxbury says, it's a cylinder making machine! Just get it close to the shape you like with your roughing gouge, and then turn on the sander and shape it to perfection! Quick easy and already sanded!

I haven't tried it yet, but I've watched Jim do it several times. Better have your DC turned on though...