PDA

View Full Version : Bed complete with mattress in guest house

Mark Singer
01-05-2005, 6:16 PM
Today the mattress finally arrived. The pics show the finished bed in the Guest House....a few details with nightsatnds I built many years ago.

Lou Morrissette
01-05-2005, 6:27 PM
Very clean design, Mark. I like the contrast between the wood and metal. How did you achieve the large radius on the headboard?

Lou

Christian Aufreiter
01-05-2005, 6:32 PM
Hi Mark,

thanks for the pics. I really enjoyed the construction thread and it's a great pleasure the see the completed project.
But if this is the bed in your guest house, which bed is in your bedroom?
Let me express that your taste and your talents are really exceptional. I'd give a lot for your designing abilities.

Regards,

Christian

Tim Morton
01-05-2005, 6:34 PM
I'm totally digging the look!! Do they still say that out on the left coast? Did they ever?( I moved from San Diego almost 15 years ago)....but I see trouble with the metal on the concrete...How are you going to prevent the bed leg from scratching that beautiful floor? :cool:

Ted Shrader
01-05-2005, 7:07 PM
Mark -

Looks really slick! The edge treatment around the joint in the frame is attractive. Little bits of detail everywhere. But we have come to expect that of you.

I like the vertical inlay on the headboard. Sort of a "dividing line" in case there is a discussion along those lines.... :)

Well done,
Ted

Joe Mioux
01-05-2005, 7:19 PM
Mark:

What a handsome bed! I really enjoyed this whole process.

all the best
Joe

Mark Singer
01-05-2005, 8:13 PM
Christian,

Here is a link to my bed ...its Wenge, I still hsve the splinters to prove it!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6961&highlight=wenge+veneer

Hi Mark,

thanks for the pics. I really enjoyed the construction thread and it's a great pleasure the see the completed project.
But if this is the bed in your guest house, which bed is in your bedroom?
Let me express that your taste and your talents are really exceptional. I'd give a lot for your designing abilities.

Regards,

Christian

Dick Parr
01-05-2005, 8:25 PM
A very beautiful bed Mark! :)

Scott Coffelt
01-05-2005, 9:35 PM
Great work Mark. Fits real nice with the surrounding pieces.

John Miliunas
01-05-2005, 9:37 PM
Ahhhhh....Mark. Me thinks the one in your guest house is even prettier than the one in your OWN room!:eek: Sure LOYL is OK with that?:D You done good, my friend! Then again, I've yet to see any of your work, which doesn't thrill me. Christian nailed it right on the head; I'd love to have even a fraction of your design abilities! Yeah, need to work on execution, too, but I think even that would come with practice. Yup, very nice work, Mark! And thanks for the play-by-play, too!:cool:

Jerry Clark
01-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Mark, I see why you designed the bed for the guest house--it is very modern construction- with the floor to celing glass. A plain bed would never do there. It really blends together! Great work. :) Jerry

Dan Mages
01-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Am I worthy of being in the same forum?

That is some amazing work, Mark!! Mazel tov!

Jim Becker
01-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Ya, Mon!! That looks perfect in there, Mark! The bridle joints also turned out wonderful with the detailing. Stupendous!! (Nice, too... :D )

Neil Clemmons
01-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Stunning work, Mark. You are the master. Love the design and execution.

neil

Mark Singer
01-05-2005, 11:02 PM
You guys are really overdoing it! It is a nice bed and it looks nice ...it really was a pretty easy project except for the curved back. That was challenging..someone asked about shaping. It was coved on the tablesaw to make the back concave. Multiple passes moving the fence and adjusting the blade. Then the curve was cut on the bandsaw. Spokeshaved to a smoothe radius. What I do is scribe the forn at the cenerline and flip it over (mirror) and make the other side match....otherwise no symmetry. Then I curved the convex side with passes through the drum sander raising the piece to form a curve using elevating boards under. Then the basic shape was formed and it went through belt sander to ROS to hand rubbed 3M abrasives ...to the White pad which is at least 400. Then Tried and True. Only one coat so far...it feels like glass.

Thank you...I don't know what is coming next...I have a nice gloat arriving tomorrow from LN....you can guess.???

Keith Christopher
01-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Mark,

not sure which is more impressive the bed or the room it's in. I have to say the two compliment each other VERY WELL ! As always EXCELLENT job. In the first thread I liked the frame, and the legs , I wasn't to keen on the headboard but I must admit like all good designs it's the whole not the individual parts. I came to understand and really like the headboard.

Keith

Glenn Clabo
01-06-2005, 7:44 AM
You guys are really overdoing it!
Okay Mark...is this better.

Not too bad Mark...for one of those there ark-e-tek fellahs. :D

Kelly C. Hanna
01-06-2005, 8:43 AM
Very Nice Mark! I really like the grain in the wood...looks great!!

Dave Richards
01-06-2005, 8:57 AM
That turned out very nice, Mark. I think it fits with the nightstands well and also in the space. It's a fair amount different than the starting point but I definitely believe it is better. The discussion about it on the Design forum seems to have been worthwhile. Keep up the good work.

Jason Tuinstra
01-06-2005, 9:27 AM
Mark, great job on the bed. Your construction pictures were helpful and informative, as always. I really like the way you ended up detailing the joint. With this, the joint stands out even more than it would normally - outstanding. Thanks for all your work and effort to teach and inspire on this site. You did good!

Karl Laustrup
01-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Very nice Mark. :) I really like the design style that the bed shows. And thank you for the play by play from design to completion. While design challenged, I now have something to strive for.:o

One thing I noticed was that the bed almost seems to be floating in the first picture.

The night stands are very nice also and I do like the design. I was just curious though, with the bed to some degree appearing to "float", would there be a fairly simple way to rework the night stands? I am thinking removing the legs as they are now and have the night stands float also? Just curious.

Being pretty new to serious WW and somewhat design challenged I'd really like to know what you think.

Thanks!

Jack Hogoboom
01-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Mark,

Great design, as always. I really like the clean, floating look. But no one asked the important question which is, when can I move in???!!! :D

With such a nice room, I'd be worried that the guests would never leave. :rolleyes:

Jack

Dan Racette
01-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I would love to see the style/layout of your home. Very modern looking! What kind of stone is on the walls in that room?

Mark Singer
01-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Dan,

It is a sandblasted concrete block. Most of the walls are constructed this way.

I would love to see the style/layout of your home. Very modern looking! What kind of stone is on the walls in that room?

Mark Singer
01-07-2005, 12:43 PM
I wanted to thank all that participated in the Design portion of this project...Especially Dave Richards whose Sketch-up drawings became my shop drawings and were side in the workshop.There were other options for the rail and other elements and I thought it may be productive to see where we ended up and the relationships.

The Nightstands have the drawer "box" element that is very much like the bedrail...it is a clean planner surface and does not have an attached "cap" as the rail once had. So I think this draws more from the nightstands and the 2 pieces relate much better. The bedrail "floats" over the metal legs as the drawer box on the nightstands "hovers" above the floor and below the thin elevated top.

The top on the nightstands is held by the 3/4" stainless rods and the arch headboard is held in eactly the same way.

For me there is enough similarity and difference that the pieces relate , but on not "forced" into the same asthetic to make a matched set...instead they respond to the issues of form and function individually....as they should and they seem free to express this in each of their unique personalities.
One is a bed...its fuction is to hold a mattress and provide back support

The other is a night table...a drawer to hold remotes...a book , a pencil. There are essentially 2 surfaces for books and other stuff ...the top and the drawer box...these elemnts are also structurally dependent on being seperated to provide a torsional resistive element to the piece.

Again Thank you I thought this analysis may helpothers in thinking about designs....

Mike Vermeil
01-07-2005, 3:57 PM
Awesome Mark! Awesome bed, awesome night stands and awesome house. The whole package really goes together well. The most common shortcoming I see in woodworking at all levels is the lack of an eye for balance and proportion, but you definitely have plenty of both. I really like the mixed media, something that is much more difficult to pull off successfully than most people believe. You can't just throw wood and metal together and hope for the best. The combination has to be just right to avoid one overwhelming the other.

Now I see why you enjoyed my toy box post from a few days ago - similar astetics (man, I really have to learn how to spell).

Now, can you build me one of those oceans I saw out the window of your bedroom?

Mark Singer
01-07-2005, 4:04 PM
Mike ,

I really appreciate your comments! I have made and posted many projects in the year plus I have been at SMC...feel free to look at some of my previos work by reviewing my previous Threads. I am looking forward to your new projects as well.(I loved the Toy Box!)...SMC is great and there are so many talented people here ...the sharing is what allows all of us to learn and grow

Wes Newman
01-07-2005, 4:17 PM
Mark, I think everyone else is already said nice job every way possible, so here's mine.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14632&stc=1

Bruce Page
01-07-2005, 4:29 PM
Others have use up most of the superlatives so I will just say it’s a knockout! I enjoyed watching the whole process.

Sign me up for wanting a tad of your design ability.;)