PDA

View Full Version : Feet turning - Must be contagerous...

Jim Underwood
12-21-2010, 9:41 PM
Well I no sooner turned a bunch of feet for the nightstands I'm making, than the boss wanted some feet turned for a bowfront vanity we were making. He'd put off ordering them...

So off to the house I went and fired up the lathe... It took me about 2 hours to cut all five of these. Ok.. so I'm a little slow. But they worked and it got the vanity out of the shop... And just to show the finished work, a couple extra pix of the vanity.

Jim Underwood
12-21-2010, 9:45 PM
A couple weeks later, the boss didn't order ENOUGH feet for a kitchen we were building. :rolleyes:

So yesterday I popped off to my shop again and turned some more...

The one on the left is the original, and the two on the right are the ones I turned. Notice the "oops, I parted this too short" line at the bottom of the middle one. I filled it with CA and coffee since it's going to get painted- no harm, no foul, right?:D OH yeah, and the template is the piece of paper in the foreground. Pretty essential for turning something with this many elements in it.

Watch, next month it'll be columns or something...

Mike Peace
12-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Well done. Being able to do something of value that no one else in the shop can do usually adds to job security.

David E Keller
12-21-2010, 10:30 PM
That's great... I wish I had a reason to leave work and do a little turning during the day!

Tony Greenway
12-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Those really look good, Jim.....I've had the pleasure of getting to turn a few cabinet related pieces during the workday myself. Nothing like firing up the lathe in the middle of the afternoon {:O)

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Nice work on everything Jim! I've turned a few when we made our footstools - great feeling to turn something that is functional and gets used every day!

Mark Hubl
12-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Very nice Jim. Nice to see hand turned cabinet work.

Ron Stadler
12-22-2010, 12:03 AM
cabinet looks really nice, and good job on the feet. Also the duplication on the other feet look really good, to bad you parted the one off a little short, but like you said,if you can fix it no harm done.

Michael Mills
12-22-2010, 9:01 AM
Nice job on those.
When I read your title I assumed you had ventured into this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnv0DAR_gWA

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2010, 9:40 AM
Nice job Jim. I always say I might be slow but I am steady.

bob svoboda
12-22-2010, 9:43 AM
Great job of duplication. Nice to make something functional once in a while.