PDA

View Full Version : A whole bunch of rosewood burl turnings I have not done... yet.

David DeCristoforo
12-21-2010, 8:36 PM
When I got home from running around today, these were on my front porch:

Inside were these:

Well seasoned Honduras rosewood burls. If there's one thing I like better than rosewood, it's rosewood burl! My acquiring these was made possible by a well known and well respected member of this forum, who may make himself known if he wishes, and I am so very grateful to have them. Rosewood burls are really hard to come by and unbelievably expensive. I got these for a price so low that I am almost feeling guilty about it... almost...

Roland Martin
12-21-2010, 8:43 PM
Nice gloat, David! Can't wait to see what you do with those. Let the curlies fly!

Michael James
12-21-2010, 8:56 PM
WOW.... rosewood and burl. I have never seen those 2 words together before, or the actual wood. Im looking forward to seeing what you do with this stuff! Thanks for postig - VERY NICE gloat!
m

Cathy Schaewe
12-21-2010, 8:57 PM
Wow, cool! You must have been good this year ...

John Keeton
12-21-2010, 9:02 PM
David, those are some really, really nice chunks!! Glad it came together for you!;) I have no doubt there are masterpieces inside those just waiting to be revealed by your imaginative turnings.

Well respected....????:rolleyes:

David E Keller
12-21-2010, 9:09 PM
Well, you definitely suck! There are few things more beautiful than rosewood burl, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If the gracious and respected member of the forum has a lead on more of this gorgeous stuff, he or she is more than welcome to send me a PM!

Scott Hackler
12-21-2010, 9:48 PM
I agree with EVERYTHING David said! Expecially the you suck part and the I want some too part! :)

Lupe Duncan
12-21-2010, 9:54 PM
Rosewood Burl is one of my favorites. If you get any chunks/cutoffs big enough for a pen save them. That would make a very nice "set".

You lucky dog you....

Baxter Smith
12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Some great looking pieces. I am looking forward to seeing them finished!

gary Zimmel
12-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Sweet gloat David... Congrats. Those should keep you busy for a bit.

Mark Hubl
12-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Those look very good now David, but I personally can't wait to see them after you have refined them a bit. Nice stash!

Ron Stadler
12-22-2010, 12:16 AM
That's a bunch of "Burlony":), I'm still stuck with Oak.:eek:

Doug W Swanson
12-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Well since you are feeling guilty, maybe you'd want to spread the wealth!

And the only burls I have turned have been pens so one of these would be a good start for me!

J/K

Get turning!

David DeCristoforo
12-22-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm sure there are going to be some "cutoffs" that would be suitable for pen blanks or bottle stoppers and the like. So if you want to PM or email me with your addy, I will send you some when they become available.

Jim Burr
12-22-2010, 12:19 PM
David, as a fellow Californian...I can't bear to see you carry that burden on your own:p...just want you to know that I'm here for you should you decide you can't support all those poor, homeless little burls. ;):D

Merry Christmas!

Dan Hintz
12-22-2010, 2:50 PM
I'm going to pull rank over Doug and Lupe and request some cutoffs for pens :)