PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question about my old bandsaw??

Butch Butler
12-21-2010, 7:01 PM
I'm trying (with some difficulty) to overhaul my old "offshore" 14" bandsaw that has, like me, been inactive for about 5 or 6 years. This is the first time it has ever been apart that I know of. I have it mostly disassembled at this point, but now need to remove the lower wheel.....can't get the nut to budge! I got to thinking that maybe it has a reversed thread and that I've been tightening it all this time. Someone please enlighten me before I break something. I would also appreciate any tips anyone has to make this removal easier. Thanks, Butch

John McClanahan
12-21-2010, 9:31 PM
From my experience, the nut tightens opposite the direction the shaft rotates. A bench grinder is a good example. Since the wheel on the left rotates clockwise, the nut tightens counter-clockwise.

John

Keith Westfall
12-22-2010, 1:38 AM
There is usually 'some' threads sticking out past the nut. Put your fingernail in the threads and slowly rotate the wheel and see which way it goes...

raul segura
12-22-2010, 3:09 AM
"the nut tightens opposite the direction the shaft rotates" ............ sounds safe and right to me.

If now you have over tightened, It doesn't hurt to get a little help. This is a good price.
http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Chemical-PB-TS-Penetrating-Catalyst/dp/B0016GXONM/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1 Price: $2.26
The stuff doesn't drip and you can see it spread up not just down.
Next time you get some oil at auto store etc. It works very well with hard to remove nuts Ive tried several .

Troy Turner
12-22-2010, 8:50 AM
Welcome to the forum Butch. Could definitely just be a stuck bolt. Some WD-40 could work wonders.

Since you're taking it apart, any plans on changing the tires?

Butch Butler
12-22-2010, 9:00 AM
Welcome to the forum Butch. Could definitely just be a stuck bolt. Some WD-40 could work wonders.

Since you're taking it apart, any plans on changing the tires?
I hope thats all it is.....There are no threads extending beyond the nut, so I couldn't determine the thread direction....have been treating it with WD-40 for about 24 hours. Yes, Troy - I'm replacing all wheel bearings, guides, upper guide block holder, both tires and a new tensioning spring. I can't buy a new saw for the cost of overhauling/upgrading this one. Thanks for everyone's comments/suggestions. Butch

Lee Schierer
12-22-2010, 4:03 PM
There are no threads extending beyond the nut, so I couldn't determine the thread direction....

Get a magnifying glass and closely examine the nut. You should be able to determine the thread direction if you look closely at teh seam between the two pieces.

Anthony Diodati
12-22-2010, 9:50 PM
Do you have an air compressor and an impact gun, or can you borrow one?
That should get it right off. I'm thinking it might be a lefty thread,but not sure. The one on my delta drill press pulley was a lefty.
Thanks, Tony

Butch Butler
12-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks to all contributors.........for info, the thread was left-hand...tightens opposite the rotation. Butch