PDA

View Full Version : Maple Hollow Form

Mark Hubl
12-21-2010, 5:33 PM
While visiting a friends house I noticed a wonderful macassar ebony form. Little did I know that the LOHL was into wood art. (These folks then attended SOFA with us, and she was just at the Renwick Bresler show at the Smithsonian, sorry short story long)

Any way I wondered about the piece and checked it out. Turns out it is by Dan Kvitka. Really a nice piece. I had not heard of Dan yet, then leafing through an AW Journal there is a picture of one of his pieces. I don't know if he is still turning, but he has made some beautiful pieces.

This little HF is inspired by one of Dan's signature shapes. His pieces look a whole bunch better.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=174641&d=1292960839

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2010, 5:45 PM
Nice! Interesting combination of elements and they all work well together! Looking forward to seeing more!

Ron Stadler
12-21-2010, 5:51 PM
Looks really nice, good job, is that done with a burner and just stained in between? need effect what ever it is.

John Keeton
12-21-2010, 6:41 PM
Well done, Mark!! I am guessing you did the texture and burnt it prior to finish turning the remainder?? Either way - excellent work, and a very interesting form.

Mark Hubl
12-21-2010, 6:54 PM
Looks really nice, good job, is that done with a burner and just stained in between?

Thanks Ron. This effect is just done by "branding" with a small tip. Similar to one used for signing pieces. I just make it a little shorter for some stiffness. The color is just that of the burn. Maple gets this nice darken carmel and brown. No staining needed.

Well done, Mark!! I am guessing you did the texture and burnt it prior to finish turning the remainder?? Either way - excellent work, and a very interesting form.

Thanks John. The texturing is just what is created from the "branding" process. This was done after the piece was off the lathe. Just a quick burn, a gentle brush with stiff tooth brush or brass brush. Then hit it with the Lacquer.

Roland Martin
12-21-2010, 8:39 PM
Very well done Mark. Nice gentle form to this piece, and the burning adds a nice touch.

charlie knighton
12-21-2010, 8:46 PM
nice form, i like crisp elements of opening, the small foot gives lift

David E Keller
12-21-2010, 9:16 PM
Very cool... I'll have to research your inspiration for this piece as well. I really like the way you are combining natural wood and pyrography on your last few pieces.

Scott Hackler
12-21-2010, 9:52 PM
Very nice Mark. I like the color of the accent ring contrasting the natural maple.

Baxter Smith
12-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Since you said "little HF", how little is it? A much different design than I have seen.

Curt Fuller
12-21-2010, 10:51 PM
You're really doing some cool stuff with all the texture, copper leafing, and colors. I really like the unusual shapes you're turning too.

Mark Hubl
12-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks all. I really like exploring different shapes. It helps me to pay better attention to using my tools and better understanding what they are doing.

Since you said "little HF", how little is it?

Baxter, this piece is only 4 1/4" x 2 3/8". Not tiny, but certainly smallish.

I'll have to research your inspiration for this piece as well.

David, here is an interesting video on Dan Kvitka. It highlights his work. From his presence on the net it appears his work these days is photography. It looks like he is pretty good at that also.

http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/segments/view/548

Ron Stadler
12-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Wow, looked at some of his work on that video, simply beautiful stuff and a carver too. Must be nice to have all that talent.

dan carter
12-22-2010, 9:28 AM
A nice change of pace. You did well. Very attractive.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2010, 9:36 AM
Interesting form and embellishments but they seem to work pretty well together. Well done.

Bill Bolen
12-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Gotta agree a very pretty piece and an interesting form. Gotta try one of those now...Bill...