PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking magazines on DVD or CD-rom

John Stankus
12-21-2010, 5:31 PM
My wife is encouraging me to overcome some of my pack-rat ways. So I am looking into replacing some of my back collection of the various woodworking magazines with their collections on DVD. I have tried to search for some reviews on sawmillcreek for the different collections but have had trouble finding them with search (DVD is too short of a search term, magazine is too general). Any opinions on the collections?

John

Rod Sheridan
12-21-2010, 6:25 PM
Hi John, the complete set of Fine Woodworking magazines is available on DVD....Regards, Rod.

Chip Lindley
12-21-2010, 7:23 PM
Tastes Great! Less Filling!

A couple of years ago Santa brought me the Fine Woodworking disc with all issues from 1975 thru 2008--$150. What can I say? It works, but may be a bit slow.

Wood magazine originally offered a 5-DVD set of back issues, but now offers all on one DVD for $150. I don't have it, but am sure it is worth the price of admission to have all issues right at your fingertips.

I am not sure if WoodSmith offered a DVD archive of past issues for sale. But, I have seen that compilation offered online as a "torrent" download in .pdf format.

The best thing about DVDs IMO is not savings in shelf space, but savings in time looking for a particular article, plan, etc.

Dan Hintz
12-21-2010, 8:41 PM
Watch for sales, too... a number of us recently picked up the '75-'10 Fine Woodworking disc for about $90.

Andrew Kertesz
12-22-2010, 6:44 AM
Hartville Tool has the Fine Woodworking set on DVD that Dan is talking about on sale until 1/31/2011. Price is $89.00 plus free ground shipping on orders over $75.00

Charlie McGuire
12-22-2010, 8:24 AM
Is there a Hartville link ?

James Rey
01-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Hi

Don't know if anyone is interested but I've been looking for the 2010 Fine Homebuilding Archive DVD for a while but $150 plus shipping was a bit rich. Came across it at Hartville as well on sale for $89 and no tax, plus free shipping. Arrived today. http://festoolownersgroup.com/Smileys/default/thumbup.gif

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/15373

Cheers

Van Huskey
01-12-2011, 1:25 AM
I love the FWW DVD, I use it all the time and the search engine is well worth the trade-off for not having the actual paper. I prefer to use it on my desktop with LARGE monitor but quite frankly tend to use it on my laptop since it tends to be right with me most of the time.

Joe Arcimboldo
02-15-2011, 8:48 AM
The FWW 1975-2010 archive is great. Its a little annoying to view on my laptop, but the search feature more than makes up for it. For instance, I recently came across some osage orange (which is fairly rare in Georgia) and a quick search located all the references to it in the history of FWW. From that I gleaned latin name, regional availability, working characteristics, and how to turn a duck call out of it. Sometimes, its even a little too much information.