PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Coaster Xmas Present

Dave Gates
12-21-2010, 12:50 PM
This is for my girlfriend's parents. About 10 years ago her dad drew the mechanical possum and her family thought it was really funny(they thought he was working on a big job at the time).

The coaster set is from JDS....color-filled with some shoe polish. I thought they turned out pretty good.

William Milligan
12-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Nice work Dave...I've been doing a lot of work on Bamboo lately because I like the way it looks when engraved...I haven't colorfilled anything. I generally use bamboo wood flooring because I can get it at a pretty good price. I've made a few coasters out of it by cutting it down to size. A vectorized Aztec/Mayan calendar looks great in bamboo. I've generally gotten some pretty good scorching on my vector cuts but a dremmel takes that off post haste. I've even made stands for the pieces by cutting a slot into another piece of bamboo. I have found it takes me about ten passes on top and one on the bottom of the bamboo slats to get them cut all the way through. Again...great work on those coasters!

Dee Gallo
12-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Dave, these are the kinds of jobs that really make the personal laser industry shine. Where else could people have something like that done? And this drawing is so cool! A mechanical possum... I didn't even know we needed one! They will love and cherish these, I'm sure.

Thanks, dee

mark anizan
12-22-2010, 3:45 PM
I'm down here on the Texas coast and we get alot of winter Texans.I have been Lasering the state map showing all the rivers and lakes for there particular state on Bamboo cutting boards from Wally World. Been selling them like crazy. i havent done any fill just leaving natural.
Mark