PDA

View Full Version : 50 Cal Pen Kits

Joe Scarfo
12-21-2010, 12:32 PM
I purch 2ea 50 cal pen kits from Penn State a while ago. I'm not happy w/ the feel of the mechanism.

I have been asked to produce a few samples for a higher end catalog house and would prefer something with better quality..

Who are you guys buying them from?

Thanks
Joe

Brian Weaver
12-21-2010, 8:36 PM
These aren't the 50 cal. but I have been getting the copper slim line kit and using 300 short mag casings they are just the right length for the slim line barrels and most of the short mags my brother shoots are nickel plated so they look pretty impressive when done. Probably not what your looking for though.

BILL DONAHUE
12-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Joe,
I haven't made pens in several years but just happened to do three last weekend and two of them were the 50 cal. ones. Got mine from Packard and they appear to work fine. So far, everyone who's handled them has been impressed. Have had one of them engraved for a retired Marine pilot I work with as a Christmas gift.

I think all of the kits have the same manufacturer so if you're not happy with those from Penn you may not be happy with kits from any others.

Lupe Duncan
12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
http://www.bulletpenkits.com/

Eric does a really great job on his bullet products. I have bought from others but ended up going back to him for quality products.

I highly recommend you check him out.

Rich Stewart
12-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I got a bunch of the 50 cals from PSI and have had no problems. I don't care for ANY twist pen kit. Pretty much use click pens only. All my son's military firends have really liked the bullet pens I have made for them. Not like you gonna be carrying it around in your shirt pocket. Mainly a decoration for your desk.

Bryan Morgan
12-22-2010, 3:29 PM
Are these kits using real spent brass? If so, please tell me they are beyond their useful reloading life.... :)

Joe Scarfo
12-22-2010, 5:16 PM
Lupe....

Those kits look incredible. I don't think the bullet is a real projectile. After reading the instructions, I suspect it's a turned piece of steel powder coated to the color. But I think the kit is awsome.

The site mentions discount coupons. Do you happen to know where I can get a discount code? I'm interested in buying a couple and trying them out.

Thanks
Joe

Bryan.... I have no idea. yes the brass is spent brass of a real used 50 cal round. Are they re loadable? I've not a clue. Sorry.

Robert W Taylor
12-22-2010, 6:03 PM
discout code for pennstate is "DVD10" it is good for $10.00 off a $50.00 order

Harry Goodwin
12-22-2010, 7:40 PM
No one at PSI has named the war from which they came but they are real casings as far as I can detrmine and military folks have said the same. I liked the kits. harry

Jim Burr
12-22-2010, 8:32 PM
Lupe....

Those kits look incredible. I don't think the bullet is a real projectile. After reading the instructions, I suspect it's a turned piece of steel powder coated to the color. But I think the kit is awsome.

The site mentions discount coupons. Do you happen to know where I can get a discount code? I'm interested in buying a couple and trying them out.

Thanks
Joe

Bryan.... I have no idea. yes the brass is spent brass of a real used 50 cal round. Are they re loadable? I've not a clue. Sorry.

You may want to check with a more reliable source Joe. Many bullet kits are all "original parts" Several high end makers of pens use the real thing and have excellent results with both quality and sales

Jake Helmboldt
12-22-2010, 9:51 PM
The site specifically says they are once-fired brass (militarty training) and use real bullets (FMJs) that are drilled out to accept the pen innards.

So that would answer several questions, including whether they are beyond useful life for reloads (no).

Lupe Duncan
12-29-2010, 6:38 PM
Sorry Joe, Just saw this thread but they are real bullets drilled out for a cross type refill......

Not familiar with any discount codes or coupons.

Again sorry, Im not too quick at replies