PDA

View Full Version : bad tooth on bandsaw blade

Bob Riefer
12-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Just recently picked up a G0555 bandsaw. It came with two unidentified blades. I do plan on researching more about the blades, and about tuning the saw in general (I found good book recommendations on this site), but have some small tasks that would be facilitated by using the saw in the meantime.

Issue is, when I was running a few test cuts I heard a repetitive "tick" sound. When I manually advanced the blade, I found that one tooth on the blade was sort of mangled. Bent outwards and partially torn away. I believe that mangle is ticking against the guides with each pass.

Can I simply remove the tooth?

glenn bradley
12-21-2010, 11:30 AM
I might just squeeze it flat with a pair of pliers if possible while I wait for my new blades to arrive. Non-specialized bandsaw blades are not expensive and are definitely a wear part; they don't last forever. The mangled tooth is nothing good but, a ticking sound can come from the weld too if it is not done well. I resaw lumber for thicker parts mostly and don't often make my own veneers so Suffolk Machinery blades (Timberwolf) have done well for me over the years. Blades off the rack at the hardware store generally are not worth the effort, just order some quality blades. If I did luthier work or made a lot of my own veneer I would look into carbide blades but, that is not a requirement for me at this time.

Bill Huber
12-21-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree with Glenn, just bend it back and you will be find.

Not to hijack the thread but I popped my 1/4" blade awhile back, my fault, but I needed one to finish what I was doing. I ran to Home Depot and got a Ridgid blade and have been really impressed with it, it cuts very well and cuts true, don't know how long it will last.

In the past I have always used the Timberwolf blades but at half the price the Ridgid just may be a good buy.

Chip Lindley
12-21-2010, 12:55 PM
...a ticking sound can come from the weld too if it is not done well...

What Glenn said! In addition, the guides should not be contacting the blade teeth at all. Blade teeth should not be contacting anything but wood being cut. If you have the guides set correctly, the sound you hear is indeed probably the weld. On a good blade the weld can be stoned smooth with a Carborundum sharpening stone.

Check that the bad tooth is not contacting the table insert on each revolution. On your used blade, just bend the errant tooth inline or grind it off with a Dremel tool. You can practice tuning up your bad blade while waiting for new blades to arrive.