PDA

View Full Version : Strong magnetic key safe?

Jamie Buxton
12-21-2010, 11:03 AM
The last couple of magnetic key safes I've put on my truck have fallen off. Can anybody recommend one with a really strong magnet?

Jim Koepke
12-21-2010, 12:18 PM
I gave up on those because it is too easy for someone else to find it.

One of my former bosses suggested a key be carried in my wallet.

For the years that one has been in my wallet, the one time being locked out of my vehicle made it worth it.

If you still need a key safe, you might think about why it is falling off. Place it in a place and orientation where bumpy roads are less likely to dislodge it.

Maybe run a screw through it. Maybe use a neodymium magnet.

jtk

David G Baker
12-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I have had one on my car for over ten years. My problem with it isn't how strong the magnet is, its the rust that is eating it up from the road salt here in Mid-Michigan. Last time I checked it was still there but I had a problem opening it due to the corrosion.

Brett Baldwin
12-21-2010, 1:03 PM
I suspect the problem isn't so much the strength of the magnet as it is the lack of ferrous metal to attach it to in modern cars. :)

Dan Hintz
12-21-2010, 1:08 PM
Place it under the hood where no one will think to look for it. Glue it to the top of the washer fluid bottle, or similar. ;)

Rick Moyer
12-21-2010, 1:29 PM
look at this: hitch safe dot com

I think this would be ideal but it's a little pricey.

Steven DeMars
12-21-2010, 2:08 PM
Wrap the key in tin foil, then wrap it in black tape, then attach under bed to frame near a hole with (2) tie wraps . . . .

The foil keeps the adhesive form the tape off the key. The black tape protects it from mud & dirt as well as camouflage it.

Locked out, reach under with a pocket knife, cut tie wraps & you now have a clean key in your hand.

Has worked for me for over 40 years . . . with the roads in Louisiana you can't trust a magnet.

Dick Thomas
12-21-2010, 2:35 PM
Place it under the hood where no one will think to look for it. Glue it to the top of the washer fluid bottle, or similar.
Hey Dan, Wanna re-think that idea: Most modern cars had an INTERIOR hood release - If the car is locked, how do you get inside the car to open the hood to get the key to open the car . . . ???????

Or were you grinning when you said that???

Dan Hintz
12-21-2010, 2:51 PM
Aw, man, never noticed my missing smiley :(

I'll go fix it now...

Lupe Duncan
12-21-2010, 3:02 PM
Do what my Granddad did.

Drive a piece of Junk that wont get stolen even with the keys always left in the ignition...:D

Guess what he left me when He passed,:p

I love that '71 chevy.

Jim Koepke
12-21-2010, 3:29 PM
Drive a piece of Junk that wont get stolen even with the keys always left in the ignition...

I have lived in areas where if you don't lock your car, you may come back to find a box full of zucchini on the front seat.

jtk