PDA

View Full Version : Tail stock point lower than the drive center

Russell Johnson
12-21-2010, 10:11 AM
So I have a Buffalo lathe that had a tail stock with missing parts. Thanks to the help of a fellow Creeker I've gotten a tail stock but the center of the tailstock is maybe 1/32 lower. I put some wood on the lathe yesterday and spun it up seemed to be balanced but I'm pretty new to lathes so what do I know. :D

I was thinking of attaching something to the bottom perhaps some UHMW I have. Does it even make a big difference? Any advice is appreciated.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2010, 10:17 AM
So I have a Buffalo lathe that had a tail stock with missing parts. Thanks to the help of a fellow Creeker I've gotten a tail stock but the center of the tailstock is maybe 1/32 lower. I put some wood on the lathe yesterday and spun it up seemed to be balanced but I'm pretty new to lathes so what do I know. :D

I was thinking of attaching something to the bottom perhaps some UHMW I have. Does it even make a big difference? Any advice is appreciated.

You need to get it even with the headstock center. Otherwise, the bearings will get undue stress on them. Shim the tailstock with with something underneath it that will raise it the correct amount. UHMW might be a good thing to use.

Russell Johnson
12-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Roger, Thank you I will do that.

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Russell - before you start the shim process - make sure your lathe is level. You would be amazed how much a lathe will twist when not 100% level.

Russell Johnson
12-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Thank you Steve. I will also check that.

Steve Mawson
12-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Have to second Steve's suggestion. Will definitely make a difference.