PDA

View Full Version : dovetail saw

Greg Labacz
12-21-2010, 8:04 AM
I'm going to start to try and learn to do hand cut dovetails and want to buy a dovetail saw ,but, don't want to spend $100 t0 $200 for one. Can you recommend a saw that would cost under $100. :confused:

Jim Chandler
12-21-2010, 8:12 AM
Veritas dovetail saw fits the bill and has great reviews.

David Weaver
12-21-2010, 8:17 AM
The veritas saw is about it in terms of new saws. Don't buy any of the lynx or french saws or anything else with a blocky looking handle - they have thick plates and soft steel.

John Coloccia
12-21-2010, 8:20 AM
Veritas, definately. Don't let anyone tell you it's a "plastic" saw. In fact, I believe it's heavier than most DT saws out there except maybe Cosman's. Very nice saw.

Trevor Walsh
12-21-2010, 9:43 AM
Order a Wenzloff kit? I picked up rip and cross cut "shopnotes" kits from him that I have to handle. The parts are well made, and I got him to stamp the teeth for me already.

Mike Olson
12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I started with a Japanese pull saw but the kerf was too thin to get my coping saw through. I now have the Veritas and it's very nice. Compared with the pull saw, the Veritas was much harder to start the cuts but once it's going it's great. It's been getting better over time so either i'm getting used to it or i should have stoned the sides of the teeth when I first got it.

Terry Beadle
12-21-2010, 10:19 AM
If you have a good hack saw, use a 16 tpi blade on it and use it. It will be a little more difficult to control the cut than you would have to master if you used the $150 type saws but it will do the job very well. Even a cheap bow saw blade can be bought and used. Just make your own frame for it out of scraps.

The expensive saws are very good but you don't have to spend so much money to do good work.

As Jim Kingshott put it "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.".

Andrew Gibson
12-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't think you would go wrong with the Veritas saw I will post a link just in case you are not familiar with them. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=64007&cat=1,42884 I think the handles are a bit big for my Medium sized hand, but I also tend to like a smallish handle.

If you want to spend a little more money Mike Wenzloff makes wonderful saws. I have 4 of his Kits. He has various options as far as how much work you have to do on the handles. I think his site is confusing. I sent him an email when I was buying my saws and he replied fast and with a ton of info and advise. you may be able to get him on the phone, I'm not sure.

Shawn Stennett
12-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I asked this very same question not all that long ago, and got the same response about the Veritas saw. I went with the pair 20 tpi Dovetail saw and Crosscut saw, and I could not be happier. I know they will not be the last dovetail saw I will get (since I now have a old Disston that I am going to have redone) which will work out good since the Disston will be good for bigger stock. I will say that what I learned from using the saw comming from the Japanese pull saw is that I did have trouble getting it started untill I stopped trying to make it cut, force it. I relaxed and just let it cut and thats what it started doing.

Joe A Faulkner
12-21-2010, 10:35 PM
I have no experience with either of these, and have not found much in the way of reviews, but Crown saws come in under $100, and the Winsor Dovetail is also under $100. Someone was asking for reviews on the Winsor saws last spring from Creekers, but no one volunteered. Anyone with experience with either of these brands care to comment?

Alan Schwabacher
12-22-2010, 12:07 AM
If you want to learn to sharpen it yourself, the $20 Crown gent's saw can work very well. Fine Woodworking did a review (Mar/Apr 2006) and described how you can sharpen this saw to bring it up close to the performance of the much higher priced saws. It has a straight handle, and many prefer another type, but you can do good work with it, after you sharpen it. FWW has a video on their website showing in detail exactly how to sharpen this saw:
Sharpening a Dovetail Saw Tune up a dull saw to cut fast and straight in five steps with Chris Gochnour

You can get a free temporary account to let you watch it. Strongly recommended, whatever saw you get.

Tony Zaffuto
12-22-2010, 6:15 AM
Yes. Check out the Lee Valley saw. IITC, cost is around $65.00.

geoff wood
12-23-2010, 5:54 AM
i use a zona saw... its only 7$ very good at cutting dovetails in stock under 3/4", doesnt cut fast, but cuts straight

Casey Gooding
12-23-2010, 10:12 AM
The Veritas saw is excellent and would be my choice.

Greg Labacz
12-23-2010, 1:15 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going for the Veritas 2 saw combo in the new year after my bank account rebounds from Christmas spending..

Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year!!!!!!!

DOUG ANGEL
12-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Good choice. I have the Veritas dovetail saw and it is great! However I confess to lusting after other high end saws.