PDA

View Full Version : New Format

Bill Leonard
12-21-2010, 7:57 AM
Any comments on the new SMC format?
Personnaly, I preferred it the way it was, but then, I am resistant to change. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Chuck Wintle
12-21-2010, 8:05 AM
i like the new format and getting used to change takes time. I suspect the majority of the changes are those which we cannot see.

Rod Torgeson
12-21-2010, 10:34 AM
I guess I have to agree with Bill on this one. I frequent another forum that uses the same software as the old sawmill creek format and I like it much better.

Brian Ross
12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
A great forum and change in todays world is inevitable. I liked it the way it was but even I can adapt. keep up the good work.

Brian

Keith Starosta
12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Resistance to change is something I've battled my entire life. As I approach my 40th birthday, I feel like I'm better than I used to be. Proof of this is that I actually like the visual changes that have been made to the site. I'm also excited to see what other changes lie ahead...those that Keith has touched on in other threads related to the recent site software upgrade. Sounds pretty cool to me!

Thanks go to Keith and Co. for continuing to make this my favorite woodworking site!

- Keith

Jim Koepke
12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Of all the changes that have occurred throughout my life, this will be one of the easier ones to deal with.

Someone mentioned double clicking on the "Reply to Thread" button to get to the more familiar reply format. This made it a little more comfortable for me.

The new attachment form is a little strange, but my images uploaded successfully.

The little envelopes have an explanation at the bottom of the page, but what makes one a hot thread and what makes it not? When your hot your hot, when your not your not?

Those little envelopes could also use a little tweaking. After posting, it shows a new, unread message. The only new one is mine that was just posted. Most of the time mine are given a quick proof read, but do we really need reminders to proof read? Either we read them before posting or we don't.

Let us hope software is not being created to change the nature of Man.

Software should be To Serve Man.

Oh wait, didn't Rod Serling warn us about that one?

jtk

jtk

Tom Esh
12-22-2010, 2:31 PM
Format is great. I just don't like the color scheme. Too low contrast for the font weights. Gives me a headache - like trying to read through a layer of dust. Not a huge deal, but I won't be visiting as often.

Bryan Morgan
12-22-2010, 3:48 PM
Format is great. I just don't like the color scheme. Too low contrast for the font weights. Gives me a headache - like trying to read through a layer of dust. Not a huge deal, but I won't be visiting as often.

I agree with you, thats the main reason I don't particularly care for the new format. I still am not sure of the reasons why they changed.... what was gained by switching to this format? Was it a change for the sake of change or is there a purpose behind it?

Jim Koepke
12-22-2010, 3:53 PM
I agree with you, thats the main reason I don't particularly care for the new format. I still am not sure of the reasons why they changed.... what was gained by switching to this format? Was it a change for the sake of change or is there a purpose behind it?

It looks like it may be a software upgrade. There are a lot of changes besides the "look."

It would be great if the software would let the individual user set up their own colors for the different elements of the screen.

jtk

Steve Clardy
12-22-2010, 4:12 PM
Its quite different. At this point I don't like it. May get used to it though. Time will tell I guess.
I really liked the older version.

glenn bradley
12-22-2010, 4:24 PM
Man is resistant to change. The new search and picture handling are poor even now that I AM used to it. Someone has to have the final say on a product design. In this version of vBulletin, the wrong guy won. If they are paying attention, adjustments will be made. The new revision is not a reflection on SMC or those tireless folks who keep it going. It's just a software product and things change.

Dave Lehnert
12-22-2010, 6:46 PM
I'm thankful for Sawmill Creek and all who make it happen.

Wayne Watling
12-22-2010, 8:02 PM
I like the new format together with what it brings in terms of new functionality, and appreciate the effort that went into the upgrade. I think the color scheme is a little cold and distant for this woodworking forum. It may just take time to warm to it though.

-W.

Jim Becker
12-22-2010, 9:48 PM
It looks like it may be a software upgrade. There are a lot of changes besides the "look."

Yes, as detailed in several threads and announcements, the SMC software (and hardware) was upgraded to the current release of vBulletin. There are still adjustments to be made as well as customizations restored. Aaron is working on things based on a priority list. Patience will be appreciated.

Jim
SMC Moderator

John Coloccia
12-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Ditto. The new organization took a little getting accustomed to, and I knew it would, but it makes a lot of sense and i like it now. I prefer the old scheme too but alas it hasn't curtailed my visits. During the day, if it wasn't for SMC I'd have no on to talk to except my glue bottles. They don't say much most of the time and it's very lonely, but it's worse when they start talking back.

You know what we really need, though, is more smileys! I want my torches and pitchforks smiley. I want my "this thread is useless without pics" smiley. I want my beating a dead horse smiley. :D (in an ideal world, the grin would be a "picketing for change" smiley)...

Brian Elfert
12-22-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't understand why the makers of vBulletin keep changing the default theme every time they put out a new release. There are many complaints over at the vBulletin forum about the new default theme.

Chuck Wintle
12-23-2010, 10:37 AM
my only comment is make more contrast with the color scheme otherwise it is fine.

Ken Garlock
12-23-2010, 2:33 PM
Yes, as detailed in several threads and announcements, the SMC software (and hardware) was upgraded to the current release of vBulletin. There are still adjustments to be made as well as customizations restored. Aaron is working on things based on a priority list. Patience will be appreciated.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Hi Jim. I generally agree. But the statement regarding the customizations, you should not need to get-around to it.
What we have here is the difference between theory and practice. Being a college man, I can understand the desire to do a quick install and fix the complaints later. Jim, how long would you have your job if you just slam-dunked a new application with out user testing prior to install???
In practice, I quickly found that testing a new install was a long process that involved the user community. You may test for several months until the users are happy with the product. But this is off the shelf software, you say. Yes but it is usable, the answer is no because it does not contain the same add-on features contained in the previous system.

My point is that this system should have been built over the multiple weekends/days prior to any attempt to install it. A good idea would have been to have the moderators log on to a test system and exercise it. The user community should not have to wait until the 'around-2-its' get done.

Yes, Aaron did an excellent job on this upgrade to new software and hardware, and I say hats off the Arron and Keith. But, good people, you stopped building before the system was ready to install.

Bill Cunningham
12-23-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm working my way through it.. The one thing I would like to see, and I'm sure it's avaialble, but not yet activated, is a 'spell check'.. Not the I ned it mind yuo

Jim Becker
12-24-2010, 12:31 PM
My point is that this system should have been built over the multiple weekends/days prior to any attempt to install it. A good idea would have been to have the moderators log on to a test system and exercise it. The user community should not have to wait until the 'around-2-its' get done.

Yes, Aaron did an excellent job on this upgrade to new software and hardware, and I say hats off the Arron and Keith. But, good people, you stopped building before the system was ready to install.

That would have required freezing posting to SMC for the duration in order to insure database integrity--there is more to this particular upgrade and migration than meets the eye, according to Keith and Aaron, and they are doing the best they can considering they have beyond full-time obligations away from SMC. Think what kind of screaming shutting down for a couple/few weeks would have have produced! I understand your point, but this is not a "mission critical" application. The end result promises to be pretty nice.

The one thing I would like to see, and I'm sure it's avaialble, but not yet activated, is a 'spell check'.. Not the I ned it mind yuo

Depending on your browser, you may already have it. I'm using Chrome currently, and it has a nice built-in spell check that I am deeply thankful for!

Jim
SMC Moderator

Frank Drew
12-24-2010, 1:03 PM
I don't consider myself resistant to change, but a couple of features seem clunkier, certainly in comparison to my experience as a user before the changes: The quick navigation box at the bottom of a thread is anything but, and opening pictures and other attachments isn't the quick, easy process it had been (sometimes pictures simply don't load.)

FWIW, I'm using Firefox on Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Ken Garlock
12-24-2010, 1:05 PM
Jim, I guess I didn't explain it clearly. :D

You do not test using the live database. Using the live environment is just like doing an upgrade, it serves no testing purpose.

What you do is to snap a part of the database. Perhaps just one forum. You bring it up on your new software and hardware with ALL CUSTOMIZATION COMPLETED. Then you permit only the moderators is use it for some period with the goal of exercising the local mods/customizations. When the moderators are happy with it, you shutdown the old system and plug in the new system to the database. a 20 minute job.:cool: Given you are using a raid configuration, you then migrate the database to the new DASD, and finally shutdown the old dasd. (dasd: direct access storage device)

Don't say it is not that easy, but cause it is. I have run multiple software test for new software upgrades. You just have to get your ducks in a row rather than flushing them and shooting. ;)

Once again, Arron and Keith did a every good job on this conversion. They just got a couple steps out of sequence, IMO. (We all know what opinions are like.:D)

Jim Becker
12-24-2010, 6:11 PM
Ken, I did understand you--I guess I wasn't clear about that either--and in the commercial world that's what would have happened. I believe there was bit of a dance around what was the best way for Keith and Aaron to get through what needed to be done based on available time, and they chose the way it happened accordingly. Was it ideal from a "all features on deck" perspective? Nope. But in not too much more time, most of this will be forgotten as the remaining customizations are restored and the new features implemented.

BTW, we moderators barely have enough time to handle the live forum as well as participate normally...we'd not be very good as testers in that respect, although it would have probably identified anything glaring.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Dave Lehnert
12-24-2010, 7:08 PM
I'm working my way through it.. The one thing I would like to see, and I'm sure it's avaialble, but not yet activated, is a 'spell check'.. Not the I ned it mind yuo

I use FireFox and have spell check.

Garth Keel
12-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Maybe it w/be easier to accept if everyone could have their own color. Now, how hard could that be? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA