PDA

View Full Version : How useful is a rabbet block plane?

Steve Stack
12-21-2010, 7:31 AM
Trying to finish up my xmas list and now I can't decide if I want the LV skew rabbet block or not. Originally, I thought it would be handy for raising panels ( I have a LV skew rabbet) and other assorted end grain uses but now I'm thinking maybe something else should take priority. How useful/neccessary are rabbet blocks skew or straight? Are they like a side rabbet, limited in use but best for certain jobs, or a multi-tool with many applications. I have three good block planes but do I need a rabbet block?
Thanks, Steve

David Weaver
12-21-2010, 7:51 AM
You don't need it (a skew rabbet), but you might find uses for it cleaning tenons and cleaning up cross-grain cuts on a raised panel.

How useful it is is just like a side rabbet - if you use it a lot, it's useful, if you don't, then maybe not so much.

If nothing else, it is nice to have to follow something that has hogged most of the waste away going across the grain on endgrain. I wouldn't count on one to raise lots of panels without waste removal via another plane.

I have no opinion on the straight rabbeting block, don't have one.

Jim R Edwards
12-21-2010, 8:28 AM
I have a Lie Nielsen 60 1/2R and it is the most used plane I own.

Chris Fournier
12-21-2010, 8:43 AM
If you do any site work the rabbet block plane is a must have. Two tools in one compact package. Can't be beat. Ask Santa now!