PDA

View Full Version : FW tools and workshops... bandsaws

Bill ThompsonNM
12-21-2010, 7:19 AM
like many of you.. I'm a bandsaw junkie when it comes to reading about them... I just got around to looking at the FW tools and workshops issue, where they have an article on "serious" bandsaws. When you look at the selection reviewed: 2 Grizzlies, 2 Jets, a 14 inch Laguna (the others are 17 inch and up), a Rikon ( might have missed one), it sure makes you wonder about the selection process.
I've been generally open minded about advertising affecting the articles, but this sure is a puzzling selection of machines. The reviews were okay, but I don't think they covered enough of "why buy a larger bandsaw... differences between bandsaws....etc.

Stephen Cherry
12-21-2010, 7:55 AM
All you need to do is look at Fine Woodworking early issues; the focus changed drastically through the years. It seems like I remember an article about a shop made bandsaw, and articles about rebuilding older machines.

Of course, this was the time when "pouplar mechanics" was popular. And people built heathkits. Now the demand is for shiny stuff, particularly if it can be bought on the cheap. You can't blame the magazines, people want what they want.

Matt Kestenbaum
12-21-2010, 9:04 AM
I think that FWW is up against a very tough set of challenges. (in full disclosure: I worked as an Asst. Editor of FWW's sister mag Fine Cooking in the mid 90's...I think being around there sparked my interest in ww'ing).

Changing media environment + changing demographics + big economic recession + increased competition = editorial turbulence

Changing media environment -- remember that when FWW started publishing it was because there was no other source of credible information for a hobbyist out there. The founder was a hobbyist and was frustrated by the lack of ww'ing info and figured there must be others like him, so he started the mag. He started it before there were computers for the home! Only typewriters, and old fashioned layout methods. It was done in the family basement. Now consumers simply take it for granted that every kind of info is at their fingertips. Plenty of blogs and net shows are out there, and while FWW has tried to adapt with videos and online content...it isn't free or easy to access...but fast and cheap videos and web blogs don't do a very good job of reinforcing what has been their brand or the expectation that many ww'ers have that FWW will always set the bar for high standards.

Woodworkers are getting older and without high school shop classes or (sadly) an ongoing American value system that holds making things with one's hands in the highest esteem, this trend has accelerated. There are younger people taking an interest in ww'ing, but the investment is a big one. Younger people with the money to get started are on the whole busier than generations past and this means turn-key solutions to tooling are at a premium. WIth the worst economic times since the 1930's I think that this is likely even more so.

Remember too that even just among other mags many have staked out brand positioning that allow them to be selective in their focus, yet chip away at FWW's desire to remain the overall source for all things ww'ing. Pop-wood is taking the hand-tool, period piece focus as its niche. American WW'er seems to strictly about solutions for beginner weekend garage projects. etc. etc.

Net-net we see a lot of tension in the choices they make. They want to have enough meat for the experienced and pros (the master class section) yet will also run covers that are meant to sooth the insecurities of newbies like Planes vs. sanders.Really? Planes and sanders are not both valuable tools that coexist at the same bench? I seem to recall that last year's tools and shops issue claimed an X-acto knife to be the ideal marking knife...really? But, then an issue or two ago they swore by a real chip carving knife. I can only imagine the hand ringing that went into how to cover bandsaws. The lesson ALWAYS in marketing is that when you try to be everything to all people you become nothing to anyone.

Kent A Bathurst
12-21-2010, 10:19 AM
I think that FWW is up against a very tough set of challenges. .........Net-net we see a lot of tension in the choices they make. They want to have enough meat for the experienced and pros (the master class section) yet will also run covers that are meant to sooth the insecurities of newbies.........

I am self-taught in WW. For 10+ years I had 2 sources for education - FWW and my mistakes. Both were invaluable. My mistakes continue as an instructive source. However, FWW and I grew apart - the infamous cover article on dowelled drawers was the last straw for me, and I let my subscription lapse.

Don't get me wrong - I could not have accomplished anything near what I have been able to do without FWW providing a constant source for excellent envelope-stretching methods and skills, and I will always be grateful for what they encouraged and enabled me to do - back in the day.

Brad Patch
12-21-2010, 11:25 AM
like many of you.. I'm a bandsaw junkie when it comes to reading about them... I just got around to looking at the FW tools and workshops issue, where they have an article on "serious" bandsaws. When you look at the selection reviewed: 2 Grizzlies, 2 Jets, a 14 inch Laguna (the others are 17 inch and up), a Rikon ( might have missed one), it sure makes you wonder about the selection process.
I've been generally open minded about advertising affecting the articles, but this sure is a puzzling selection of machines. The reviews were okay, but I don't think they covered enough of "why buy a larger bandsaw... differences between bandsaws....etc.

The selection of a band saw boils down to what is the scale of woodwork that you do. Many very fine woodworkers do superb work using the venerable 14 inch Delta. If heavy re-sawing is anticipated then a larger more powerful machine would be appropriate. I currently have a 1957, 20 inch Delta/Rockwell with a 1 HP motor which I am very pleased with. Its 1/8 inch sheet metal frame, and motor weigh just under 700 lbs. The table trunnion is cast iron and massive. While I rarely do wide re-sawing it will accomplish smaller jobs without blade wandering, bowing in the cut, or having to go through tedious fence adjustments for tracking

Look around and see if an American made saw can be found. While some of the older American products may lack some of the bells and whistles of the imports, they were made when craftsmanship and durability were the norm.

Peter Quinn
12-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Reread the article, this time more carefully.!it was about 'serious' bandsaws under a certain price threshold, not a thorough review of all available bandsaws. I don't remember the price point but it was fairly low. The basic jist was that performance resembling big saws and far beyond the 14 delta style mainstay of most small shops was now in reach. Inthink you are not only reading between the lines, you are writing a conspiracy that isn't there.

So I just reread the article, it seems $1600 was the price point for this article, and it was clearly IMO noted that this was an examination of the next logicalmstep up from the basic 14" category. Spend $4k on a big Laguna or Minimax and you will clearly get a better saw, but there is no story there, just spend big get big. Perhaps the title could have been better handled, editors tend to go for eye grabbing headlines beyond reason rather than clarity of purpose regarding the articles content.