PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Which Festool ROS ?

Niels J. Larsen
01-05-2005, 3:23 PM
Hi all,

I've recently become addicted to the Festool product line (started with a TS55 EBQ plunge saw and now I've ordered a OF 1400 EBQ...) :D
So you can see that I'm hooked....

I'd like to buy a ROS and was actually sure that I needed the Rotex RO 150E after reading about it on www.woodshopdemos.com (http://www.woodshopdemos.com/).
However after browsing through the Festool Owners Group on Yahoo, I think I need to do a bit of digging before I decide which it should be.

So, let's get down to business:

Which ROS should I buy if I only want ONE - and be the only one in my workshop - i.e. used for everything from start to finish on a project ?

Cheers,
Niels

Jim Becker
01-05-2005, 4:10 PM
I have both the Rotex and the 150/3 and use them both. For "me", I like the Rotex for the heavy duty work and prefer the 150/3 for almost all the finish sanding, purely because it's easier for me to "one hand" the 150/3 than the Rotex. Personal preference. I could probably live with just the 150/3, but if I had to pick only one, I'd likely choose the Rotex for its extreme flexibility...and get the other one later. IMHO, of course.

Phil Winn
01-05-2005, 4:12 PM
I have a Festool 150/3, which I purchased because I have
a Bosch ROS for rough(er) sanding. I find the 150/3 works
great with the 33 vac, the sandpaper lasts and lasts and lasts.
Very low vib, not that loud; and it comes with a systainer!
Phil

Chris Padilla
01-05-2005, 4:13 PM
You can't do better for versatility than the Rotex that you've listed if you want just one sander.

Me? I have the Rotex...but I also have the 150/3 ROS...and the DS400. I think I am fat 'n happy on Festool sanders now.... BTW, you can change the DS400 to an RS400 by buying two extra parts for about $26.

Niels, where are you located...perhaps you could fill in that spot on your profile? Welcome to the Creek! :)

Dave Avery
01-05-2005, 4:15 PM
I have only the Rotex and like it as much as any tool in my shop. It does everything very well but, as Jim mentioned, it's not a one-hand machine.

Niels J. Larsen
01-05-2005, 4:52 PM
Hmm, looks like I'll just buy the Rotex...
I'll probably end up buying one - or a few others :D

There's nothing like the smell of a brand new Festool in the mornin'! :p

Cheers,
Niels

Scott Coffelt
01-05-2005, 4:57 PM
I've got the ETS 150/3, I really like and it works very well. So much so, that I returned the Ridgid 6" to HD since it was never used. I was holding out thinking I would need it for more agressive sanding, but since I have had the 150/3 I've not needed too.

Some day if the need arises, I may choose to get the Rotex. I know I can run the 150/3 all day with no fatique. You may want to start with it and then get the Rotex if you find you need a more agreessive sander. I know you'll still use the 150/3 primarily. Then again, contact Uncle Bob... he knows best.

Frank Pellow
01-05-2005, 6:31 PM
I only have the Rotex and I am happy with the finishing job that it does. I am very very happy with the way it removes material in its aggressive mode.

Christian Aufreiter
01-05-2005, 6:45 PM
Hi Niels,

I have the ES 150/3 and like it a lot. Maybe I'll get the Rotex and/or a belt sander in the long run but so far the 150/3 does everything I expect from it. I don't know what type of wood/sheets you use so the difficult question Which sander will serve my needs best? is even more difficult ;) .
I tend to think that 150/3 + Rotex is a great combination. But if you plan to buy only one sander I'd probably go with the Rotex or the 150/5. The 150/5 is certainly more aggressive than the 150/3 but it should still provide a nice finish and it's a comfortable one-hand sander. On the other hand if you want to remove paint and might focus buffing jobs the Rotex would be my choice.

Regards,

Christian

Paul Franklin
01-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Niels

If you choose the Rotex, which one will you choose the 150 or the 125?

Paul

Niels J. Larsen
01-07-2005, 5:31 AM
Paul:

I'll probably choose the 150. On the other hand I might find use for the 125 due to its smaller size and therefore I'd be able to use it in places where the 150 would be too large...

Oh dear, why have Festool created so many possibilities.. ? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Niels

Jim Becker
01-07-2005, 9:26 AM
Part of your decision about which Rotex comes down to media...the "150" machines all share paper between them and the "125" machines do the same. That may be a factor in your future purchase decisions, especially if you are a hobbiest and want to leverage the same box of 120 grit across multiple sanders!

Christian Aufreiter
01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm with Jim and would consider which other 125 mm and 150 mm sanders are available. Festool offers an extremely wide range of 150 mm sanders (especially in Europe) so I'd probably get the RO 150.

Christian