PDA

View Full Version : Grain Oreintation

Tim Thiebaut
12-20-2010, 9:17 PM
Most turnings I see the wood grain is going vertical in ralation to the work piece, is it ever acceptable to have the grain running horizontal in relation to the piece or is this something to stay away from? Thanks for any input here, Tim

John Keeton
12-20-2010, 9:34 PM
Tim, I think it depends on the turning. Most bowls are done with the grain running horizontally, and most of the HFs I have done are that way. However, many turners prefer to hollow end grain turnings, so the grain is vertical. The appearance will differ, too, and that relates to what you are trying to accomplish with the turning.

charlie knighton
12-20-2010, 9:43 PM
it is either way, you can even tilt it at 45 degrees

Harry Robinette
12-20-2010, 10:05 PM
See if you can find a book, Green wood turning by Michael O'Donnell it has about every way to turn a bowl and shows the grain pattern for each.

Harry

Michael James
12-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Tim,
There seems to be a few concerns with the pith and what to do with it or avoid it. Personally, I would go along with John's comment regarding projected outcome. Unless you have good access to lots of big wood, the blank itself will limit your decision making process. I think you should turn that which derives the most pleasure for you.
my .o2
mj

Art Kelly
12-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Here's a vase I started a couple of years ago where the grain runs across (more or less) the narrow long axis. I say started because it's now in two pieces out in the garage. Judging from the picture, I'd say it detonated about the time I started in with the scraper to eliminate those tool marks. (It must have been shrieking if those vibration patterns are any indication. I don't remember.)

I gallantly tried to complete the entire shape at once and it broke about 2" from the base along the grain. I should, of course, have completed the mouth and then worked toward to the base.

I have another one that I did correctly and it remained intact. It's beautiful and was worth the cost of the experience from the broken one.

Hickory (probably mockernut) from Central Florida. 8" tall.

Two morals: 1. It's easier to break along the grain. 2. Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Art

Mark Hubl
12-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Grain orientation can be something you can experiment with. There are caveats and understanding what the wood may do will help in figuring out how you want to go. Here is a pdf that has been floating around for a while that helps to "figure" it out.

http://www.texaswoodshop.com/turning/Woodgrain_to_Log_handout.pdf