PDA

View Full Version : Proper dimensions for a steady rest

Roger Chandler
12-20-2010, 8:40 PM
I just ordered some inline skate wheels for a shop made steady rest. My question is this. My lathe has 18" swing, and I was wondering about proper clearance for the inside circle for my size lathe.

I also want to make mine with 4 wheels that adjust to the size of the turning so as to be able to have clearance ias I am looking in the future for a hollowing rig with laser attachment [think monster system] so I want to make sure I build it right the first time!

any help and photos would be much appreciated. Creekers are an innovative bunch for sure, and I feel like I can learn from your creations!

Nate Davey
12-20-2010, 8:47 PM

Roger, I have a Jet 1642, I made the outside diameter of mine 16" with an inside diameter of 14.5" It works well for me and I doubt I will need to steady anything bigger than that. Hope this helps

Roger Chandler
12-20-2010, 8:55 PM
Thanks Nate,

That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. If I wanted to make mine larger so as to have clearance for the wheels on the inside and have room for a larger type form, do you think a 20 inch inside circle would work pretty well?

Your design here in the picture is pretty much what I was considering.

Nate Davey
12-20-2010, 9:07 PM
I think you would have to do some cutting to the bottom of your circle to keep it centered on your spindle, but that is probably a question better answered by Jeff Nicols or someone with more experience than I. I was lucky and found my wheels still attached to the roller blades at Play It Again Sports. Really cheap and had four left over, which I gave to a buddy.

Roger Chandler
12-20-2010, 9:35 PM
I think you would have to do some cutting to the bottom of your circle to keep it centered on your spindle, but that is probably a question better answered by Jeff Nicols or someone with more experience than I. I was lucky and found my wheels still attached to the roller blades at Play It Again Sports. Really cheap and had four left over, which I gave to a buddy.

Nate,

My thinking was to make the circle 2" wide, and make the bottom flat with a piece of 1/4" plate steel attached to it for the base with a hole in the middle for a bolt and then a washer and nut on the bottom.

That should allow me to get the 18 inch circle.........I think???

My lathe came with 2 or 3 extra steel pieces like the ones that are on the underside of the banjo and the tail stock to lock them on the bottom of the ways, so I have that part already machined and ready to go, which should make for a great lock up on the ways.

Scott Crumpton
12-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Roger,

I agree with everything said so far but would like to add that if you're building this from wood it's much less of an issue than if you're using metal. As long as you make the arms long enough, you'll never need to redo them. You can then remake the ring as many times as you like. With the metal version, like I just made, the ring is the majority of the work and cost (1 ring incl shipping is about $34). You really want to get it right the first time.

---Scott.

Antonio Martinez
12-21-2010, 8:40 AM
Maybe this will get the creative juices moving....kinda like morning coffee?

http://www.atbq.qc.ca/jm2/steady.htm

http://www.hdv.net/tips/Making%20a%20Steady%20Rest.htm

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/BowlSteady.html

Harvey M. Taylor
12-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Roger, you will have to make the circle the same as the swing of the lathe, otherwise the wheels will never center, unless there is a slight difference. I had mine made by Jeff Nichol with provision for a third wheel placed at 12 o;clock. With 4 wheels at the 2,4,8 and 10 o'clock positions. the 10 o'clock wheel interferes with the laser on smaller turnings. So you use the 4 and 8 o;clock and 12 o'clock wheels to steady the workpiece. Either setup only works on larger turnings.This muddy picture will clear up once you turn a few hollow forms. Some on this forum say you can remove the 10 o'clock wheel and make very light cuts.I have done this and it works, however on larger turnings I prefer the 3 wheel setup.Maybe this will help, I certainly hope so.mAX

Roger Chandler
12-21-2010, 11:44 AM
thanks Max...........that is Good information! I appreciate it!

James Combs
12-27-2010, 2:58 PM
Hi Roger, I was reviewing older posts when I ran across this post where you were requesting steady rest info. It you didn't get to see the original posting I did a tutorial on building a Jeff Nicols style Steady. You can find it here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?151550-Steady-Rest-Fabrication/page2 on the last page. If nothing else it has some sourcing info in it you can use.

I just ordered some inline skate wheels for a shop made steady rest. My question is this. My lathe has 18" swing, and I was wondering about proper clearance for the inside circle for my size lathe.

I also want to make mine with 4 wheels that adjust to the size of the turning so as to be able to have clearance ias I am looking in the future for a hollowing rig with laser attachment [think monster system] so I want to make sure I build it right the first time!

any help and photos would be much appreciated. Creekers are an innovative bunch for sure, and I feel like I can learn from your creations!

Roger Chandler
12-27-2010, 3:31 PM
James,

That is good stuff! Thanks for sharing it with me! I will probably build mine out of wood, as I don't have a welder, so wood will work, but I can gain a lot from your process!