PDA

View Full Version : Another Work in Progress

Nate Davey
12-20-2010, 5:30 PM
I'm not exactly sure where I was going with this bowl. I knew I wanted to try an ogee, guess I need to try again. I also wanted to do the angled rim and wanted the bowl to have some weight to it. This is what I've come up with. I've done the second flood coat of WOP, per Steve's method and wanted some thoughts on the design. Wood is walnut salvaged from a log that was pretty bad off. Also need to work on my photography skills.
Candid criticism would be appreciated.

Bill Bolen
12-20-2010, 5:33 PM
Looks darn nice to me! No critique called for...Bill...

Richard Madden
12-20-2010, 6:27 PM
I'd have to agree with Bill. Looks good to me.

Dennis Ford
12-20-2010, 6:49 PM
That is a nice bowl, good form and the finish is looking good too. I would prefer a small foot and thinner wall but that is a personal preference, nothing wrong with the way you did it.

David E Keller
12-20-2010, 6:58 PM
It's nice looking wood, Nate. For my tastes, a thinner wall would be better or at least thinner at the rim. You've actually got a little more than an ogee with the two concavities at the base and rim... There's nothing wrong with it, but it's a little more than just an ogee. Looking forward to the next one.

Mark Hubl
12-21-2010, 1:03 AM
Looks good. I like your idea for a heavier piece and the treatment on the rim. I think the heft of the top and bowl would be better highlighted by a simple curve on the outside. Also with that lovely interior curve to show off, I would like to see a smaller foot. Hope you have some more of that walnut to show us.

Roland Martin
12-21-2010, 8:07 AM
That's a nice piece of walnut and a good looking bowl, Nate. A lot of us here need to hone in on our photography skills, I'm certainly one of them. The biggest problem I have is that the more I concentrate on photography, the less time I have for turning:D

Wes Henson
12-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Nate,
I have the same problem with the Ogee too. I end up with "Oh-Gee that isn't what i wanted."
I think I might cut the bottom curve in tighter to make the foot smaller.
I like the top with the angle. I'm planning to try that on a piece soon.
I like my bowls a little heavier too!

Wes