PDA

View Full Version : Laptop keys

Dave Lehnert
12-20-2010, 4:27 PM
I have something stuck under one of the keys on my laptop. Will the key just pop off or how do I get under the keys to lean out?

Matt Meiser
12-20-2010, 4:39 PM
I know I've popped them off before but to be safe you'd want to find out if that will work for your particular laptop. I did a quick Google search for "dell remove laptop key" and got back a bunch of relevant results.

Dave Lehnert
12-20-2010, 4:46 PM
I did hook one corner with my thumb nail and try to pry it up. Did not pop off but again I was not sure if it should or not.

FYI- It is a Gateway 15" laptop ML6720

Bryan Morgan
12-20-2010, 5:53 PM
Laptop keys can be a little tricky... normal keyboard keys just pop into a little hole but for laptops theres usually a scissor type mechanism under each key. They are easy to pry off but you have to be careful that you don't break these tiny little plastic clips that hold the key to the mechanism. Theres one towards the top of the key and one towards the bottom. My Acer has no up arrow key (just the rubber pad) because I broke off the top one. Only the bottom clicks in place as the top clamp part is gone. The bigger keys like the space bar or enter button usually have a rectangular metal bar that you have to click into the key itself and then try to align into some guides on the board. Seems easy but its easier said than done... This stuff is so tiny you have to have small and extra dexterous fingers to accomplish anything. :) You should be able to do it if you are mechanically inclined but just be careful as they are fairly fragile.