PDA

View Full Version : need to change the chip chute for dewalt 734

Bob Riefer
12-20-2010, 2:52 PM
Given my shop and dust collection layout, the current side discharge direction of the chip chute for my planer is not going to work very nicely (my DC ducting would have to make a u-turn from this point to connect to the main trunk). I need it instead to discharge directly straight "back" (in the same direction as the outfeed, instead of its current left hand turn).

Do I have any options to modify the chute? Or, do you know of aftermarket chutes for this model that would discharge back instead of to the side?

George Farra
12-20-2010, 4:45 PM
Would this work for you? Based on the picture the shoot it appears that it bends to the side but not at a 90 degree angle...so not sure if it would work for you.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/portable-thickness-planer-attachments-dw7331.aspx

Bob Riefer
12-21-2010, 9:07 AM
That may just work. I saw the same on Amazon for $33 so not bad.

I'm wondering if I can heat my existing chute so that I can bend/modify its direction. Pure folly?

Ben Hatcher
12-21-2010, 9:53 AM
I have that planer and my chute exits to the right when viewed from the front of the planer. I'm just using a section of 4" flex hose to connect mine to my ductwork. I haven't noticed any decrease in performance. You're dealing with chips not dust with a planer, so it is more of a tidiness issue than a health concern.

Ken Seiler
12-22-2010, 9:08 AM
I guess DeWalt made some changes. My DW734 is about 4 years old and the chute exits to the left when viewed from the front.

David Nelson1
12-22-2010, 9:15 AM
I guess DeWalt made some changes. My DW734 is about 4 years old and the chute exits to the left when viewed from the front.

If I'm correct all you have to do is remove 2 screws and flip tghe chute from left to right and visa versa.

Bob Riefer
12-22-2010, 9:24 AM
That may be the case on some models.. Mine has two clips that are part of the chute (i.e. not screwed on as a separate piece) that only allow the chute to attach in one direction. Although removing those clips and fabricating new ones so that I can reverse the chute is possible.

But still, I'm reading up on bending plastic.. From what I read so far, a heat gun at about 6" away until the material begins to get flexible.. Then, use something inside the chute outlet to bend it into desired position (if something is not inside the chute outlet, it will want to fold on that area as you bend).

Of course, I'm sure it's way harder and more frustrating than that. If worse comes to worse, I'll try buying that one posted above, or build something out of hard board.

Matt Day
12-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Mine is the same as yours Bob, you can only mount it one way because of the attachment method. I'm pretty sure you're going to end up destroying the chute if you try and heat it and bend it 90 degrees. Plastic will bend and move when heated, but I bet it won't go the way you want it or it'll develope a hole.

I think your best option is the one linked above, or fabricating your own.

David Nelson1
12-22-2010, 11:45 AM
That may be the case on some models.. Mine has two clips that are part of the chute (i.e. not screwed on as a separate piece) that only allow the chute to attach in one direction. Although removing those clips and fabricating new ones so that I can reverse the chute is possible.

But still, I'm reading up on bending plastic.. From what I read so far, a heat gun at about 6" away until the material begins to get flexible.. Then, use something inside the chute outlet to bend it into desired position (if something is not inside the chute outlet, it will want to fold on that area as you bend).

Of course, I'm sure it's way harder and more frustrating than that. If worse comes to worse, I'll try buying that one posted above, or build something out of hard board.

Bob,

Your right, I have the small Delta, and misread Dewalt as Delta. Sorry bout the bad scoop.

Curt Harms
12-23-2010, 8:26 AM
How about an Elbow? I'm not familiar with the DeWalt chute but trying to bend plastic 90 degrees without it collapsing or becoming way too thin/developing a hole seems iffy.