PDA

View Full Version : For the Kids

Mike Stephens
12-20-2010, 2:14 PM
Here are some whistles I just finished. In the latest issue of Woodturning Design there was an article about making them. I thought it would be fun to make some. It was. My wife wants to kill me now ever time she hears one.

In Order from Left to Right. Corian, Maple/Mahogany, Walnut, Leopard Wood, Maple/Walnut/Mahogany, Walnut, Ash and Leopard Wood.

Jon McElwain
12-20-2010, 2:31 PM
Sweet! Are they through drilled end to end? How is the tone? I had one of those train whistles when I was a kid, seemed like it had two tones. Kids are going to go nuts over those I bet!

Baxter Smith
12-20-2010, 2:49 PM
They look great. I thought about trying one of them when I read that article as well. The 2 1/2 year old twin boys my wife watches during the day would have loved them. But I took pity on my wife.:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2010, 3:20 PM
Wow - those look really cool! Bet our grandkids would love them! Will have to check into that as an upcoming project!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Joe Little
12-20-2010, 3:25 PM
Those look great and fun to turn too!

Roland Martin
12-20-2010, 4:37 PM
The kids will love them, I'm sure. The parents, oh well, that don't matter does it?:)

Jon Prouty
12-20-2010, 6:19 PM
My wife would kill me.... and make it look like an accident. Very nice though...

Jon

Roger Bullock
12-20-2010, 6:48 PM
Nice look'in flutes you have there. Looks like something neat to make for the granddaughter next spring when she can go outside. What is the basic plan. Do you just drill a hole and turn?

David E Keller
12-20-2010, 7:00 PM
Nice job on the whistles, but I personally think you're nuts to make noise makers for kids... Unless you're giving them to someone else's kids.

Mike Stephens
12-20-2010, 7:26 PM
Nice job on the whistles, but I personally think you're nuts to make noise makers for kids... Unless you're giving them to someone else's kids.

I hear ya David. But It might look funny if a 35 year old man had an obsession with making himself toy whistles. :p

Mike Stephens
12-20-2010, 7:29 PM
Nice look'in flutes you have there. Looks like something neat to make for the granddaughter next spring when she can go outside. What is the basic plan. Do you just drill a hole and turn?

Roger there are some good videos on you tube. Check this 1 out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecCAXCXjQfw)

gary Zimmel
12-20-2010, 8:33 PM
Now these would be perfect for the grand kids....
Nice work on the whistles Mike.

Brian Weaver
12-20-2010, 8:39 PM
I did a bunch of these a couple years ago. I made one for every kid we knew that didn't live in our house. We tied them to the top of there Christmas presents. I got a lot of Thank you's from lots of nerve wracked parents :D

Jarrett Sadowsky
12-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Mike those are real nice. I will have to add that to the list of ideas for future projects.

Mark Hubl
12-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Those look like nothin but fun. Really a nice batch. The kids will love them for sure.