PDA

View Full Version : Did I buy what I think I did?

Josh Richard
12-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Is there a difference between Laserbit's color fill and Tempra paint?

I ordered a 12 sample set and started using it today. The colorfill looks and smells a lot like the Tempra paint that our art department buys by the gallon!

Larry Bratton
12-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Ha..I have never used the product, but it may be the same thing under a different name. I doubt many laser engravers buy art paints by the gallon so the similarity would not be evident. Lots of resellers do things like this, buy a product from a manufacturer and resell it under a private label.

Dee Gallo
12-20-2010, 11:44 AM
If you wait til it's dry then put a drop of water on it, you'll know. Tempera is re-wettable, so after it is dry it can be changed with water. Gouache is the same thing.I doubt it is tempera as it would produce colored powder all the time. Probably what you are smelling is pigment.

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
12-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm with Dee... place a single drop of water onto a sample and stir with your finger onto a piece of paper. Use a hairdryer to dry it out, then put another drop of water on the sample and see if you can smear it some more. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to be sure...

Josh Richard
12-20-2010, 1:20 PM
I let some dry a bit and hit it with water, no change in state, stayed dry.

Found the MSDS link below. The product has a propylene glycol solvent and an ammonia binder

thanks for the help

http://www.laserbits.com/images/LaserResources/TechTip