PDA

View Full Version : Oak Burl HF

Kathy Marshall
12-20-2010, 1:31 AM
This is the 2nd half of the oak burl Cathy sent me. Its 2 1/4" tall by 4" wide, finished with DO, then WOP then beall buffed.

Thanks for looking!

joel nucifore
12-20-2010, 5:39 AM
very nice pc... like the lights looks like eyes...

Rich Aldrich
12-20-2010, 6:24 AM
Kathy, Nice work. I hear oak is tough to work with due to the porousity.

John Keeton
12-20-2010, 6:28 AM
Kathy, nice job on this one, and you evidently achieved a very nice finish - kind of has that ET look in the pics!!

Jeff Nicol
12-20-2010, 7:10 AM
Kathy, The form is very nice on this Oak piece, but I am not sure about the very glossy finish. With the cracks and voids that are left the finish is broken at those points and it looses its fluidity. Don't get me wrong you did a wonderful job of getting it to shine like that, but a deep oil finish buffed to a glow works better for me as it shows the figure and grain better when turned in the light, as the high gloss overtakes the natural beauty of the burl.

Just a thought :)

Jeff

Roland Martin
12-20-2010, 7:27 AM
I really like the form on this one, and the character is great also. Nice work!

Dennis Ford
12-20-2010, 7:59 AM
You did a great job on this, the form is perfect.

David E Keller
12-20-2010, 9:06 AM
Nice form and finish, Kathy. I do agree with Jeff N. about the voids/cracks and the gloss, but I'm mostly just jealous of that shiny finish.

charlie knighton
12-20-2010, 9:56 AM
very nice....

Mark Hubl
12-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Kathy,

The piece looks very good. The form and wood are quite pleasing.

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Kathy - real nice looking hollow form! Great shape and you did a really good job on the finish!

Taking photos of super glossy items is always a challenge but worth the effect to minimize the reflections. Photography, just another part of the vortex!

Ron Stadler
12-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Nice work Kathy, Now that a few people have mentioned the shiny finish and cracks though has got me ageeing with them. But overall I think the piece looks beautiful. I just did an pin oak hf myself and am in the process of finishing it, mine will be quite glossy too, but luckily I don't have the voids or cracks this piece has. So anyway, I learned something too.

Michael James
12-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Nice. I like that one!

Rob Cunningham
12-20-2010, 1:11 PM
Really nice form with a lot of character in the wood. A great finishing job on the gloss, but I feel softer finish on this would work also.

Baxter Smith
12-20-2010, 2:58 PM
That burl has some great eyes! All kidding aside, its a pretty piece of wood with a pleasing shape and you did a nice job on the finish.

Richard Madden
12-20-2010, 7:00 PM
Looking good! Nice grain and a beautiful finish!

Cathy Schaewe
12-20-2010, 7:32 PM
It's very pretty! I love seeing the different things people turn with that stuff -

Kathy Marshall
12-20-2010, 11:20 PM
You did a great job on this, the form is perfect.

Kathy, Nice work. I hear oak is tough to work with due to the porousity.
Thank you! I've heard that too, but I didn't really notice it with this burl. Touched up all the tools before I started and retouched as needed.

Kathy, nice job on this one, and you evidently achieved a very nice finish - kind of has that ET look in the pics!!
Thanks! Yep, the "eyes" have it and they won't let it go lol, but I am working on getting a better photo setup.

Kathy, The form is very nice on this Oak piece, but I am not sure about the very glossy finish. With the cracks and voids that are left the finish is broken at those points and it looses its fluidity. Don't get me wrong you did a wonderful job of getting it to shine like that, but a deep oil finish buffed to a glow works better for me as it shows the figure and grain better when turned in the light, as the high gloss overtakes the natural beauty of the burl.

Just a thought :)

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. The reflections certainly don't help the overall appearance and it does look better in person. I did another hf out of the other half of this burl and it had a softer finish which I liked, I just really wanted a glossy finish on this one, but still learning and experimenting.

Kathy - real nice looking hollow form! Great shape and you did a really good job on the finish!

Taking photos of super glossy items is always a challenge but worth the effect to minimize the reflections. Photography, just another part of the vortex!
Thanks! I'm working on getting a better photo setup. As it is now I have to set the lights within 5-6" of the piece and shining directly at it in order to get enough light to show the grain. I picked up some brighter bulbs today, now I just need to find something for the background and a reflective surface for the sides and top (just hate having to shop for them since any time spent in stores is less time spent in the shop lol).

And thanks to everyone else for your comments!