PDA

View Full Version : Completed Urn Form

Mark Hubl
12-20-2010, 1:03 AM
First, thanks to all that helped with this urn. It has certainly not turned out as I envisioned it. I ended up changing quite a few things on it. But I tried some new carving, feet, burning and finishing techniques and learned some things in the process.

I was not happy with my sanding and detail around the carved bits. I didn't notice the defects until after I had stained the piece. So I sanded it out, but the finish just was not working. So, how about some copper leaf? I have never worked with leaf before. Since I was doing the copper I wanted to force a patina. Well, let the fun begin. I stripped off the leaf 3 times before getting a lovely green/blue/copper finish.

Now you may ask, where is the patina. Well the brown spots are all that is left. When I was happy with my result I decided to seal the piece with some spray lacquer. Poof, patina gone.:mad: Oh well, lesson learned.

The piece is maple with black gesso and copper leaf. The threads on the collar and top are lignum vitae. The finish is lacquer. Fun to play with different forms and finishing techniques. Not one of my favorite pieces.

Ron Stadler
12-20-2010, 1:12 AM
Well I'm still pretty new to turning, but I think its kinda cool, certainly different, very interesting piece. So what its worth, two thumbs up from me.

joel nucifore
12-20-2010, 5:48 AM
VERY cool pc like what you are doing, its out side of the box.. GREAT JOB

John Keeton
12-20-2010, 6:33 AM
Mark, I actually think this is one of the better pieces you have done. I am sure there are little things one might do differently, but the overall look is very unique, and for me, I think the contrasting finish is much better than it would have been with the desired patina. Really well done, and just a very great piece that shows a lot of originality.

Dennis Ford
12-20-2010, 8:08 AM
Very nice urn. I like the carving and the copper, the black coloring and feet fit in nicely to really make this piece. I kept looking for some wood grain but am not sure where it would have looked right on this piece.

Mike Stephens
12-20-2010, 8:55 AM
Mark I like it and have to agree with John. Fantastic work.

David E Keller
12-20-2010, 8:58 AM
I think it's cool. You certainly spent a ton of time finishing and refinishing, and I think the hard work paid off.

Bob Bergstrom
12-20-2010, 9:03 AM
Hope to see it at the Christmas party. Great job! I love the creativity

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Mark - definitely a unique form! Really like the contrast in materials and colors! Shame the patina disappeared with the lacquer but who knew? I know David Marks plays a lot with patinas but I have no idea if he seals them. Interesting idea though - looking forward to seeing your next one!

Scott Hackler
12-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Mark, I agree that this is one of your better works. The copper and black look great together. Great job!!

Jake Helmboldt
12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Mark, what do you use to cut the threads on your urns?

Michael James
12-20-2010, 2:05 PM
1 of a kind, works for me! Great job. Turn and learn.
mj

Baxter Smith
12-20-2010, 2:51 PM
A very interesting and attractive piece. I would have no clue that it was made out of wood. I don't know if that is good or bad.:)

Richard Madden
12-20-2010, 6:43 PM
Mark,
You continue to show us pieces that are just spilling over with originality and a big dose of creativity. I like everything about this one, and it's deserving of at least two thumbs up!! Really nice.

Mark Hubl
12-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks to all for the kind comments. I know that this is one of those like it - don't like it pieces. For me, I am enjoying playing with form and embellishment. I think if you are dealing with "plainer" wood it is all right to draw interest with other craft skills. If you have a wonderful piece of wood, then let it speak for itself.

Shame the patina disappeared with the lacquer but who knew? I know David Marks plays a lot with patinas but I have no idea if he seals them.

Thanks Steve. The patina was "winging it" for sure. David is one of my favorites and has really been an electronic mentor for me. I was lucky enough to attend a veneering class that he taught at our local woodcraft. Unfortunately my dvr deleted my Wood Works collection.:mad: He was part of my inspiration for doing a patina.

Mark, what do you use to cut the threads on your urns?

Jack, I use sorby hand chasing tools. I looked at a lot of the rigs available, but before I dropped big dime or built my own, I figured I would try hand chasing. So far I have been really pleased with the results considering how little practice time I have put in. The wood choices are more limited than working with the rigs and cutters, but I am working around that.

I would have no clue that it was made out of wood. I don't know if that is good or bad.:)

Baxter, that is the love it hate it aspect of the piece. I love wood. It is a wonderful medium. I really never intended for the no wood look. It kinda just evolved on this one. But, learned a couple of things.

Brian Ashton
12-21-2010, 7:04 AM
That's a piece art you've put together - I'm impressed.