PDA

View Full Version : Advice on TS extension and fence purchase

Chris Strizver
12-19-2010, 8:38 PM
I'm looking for advice on building an extension table around my TS. I destroyed the shop-made extension that came with the TS along with an Incra fence in shop accident. The upside is that I can start fresh and get a nice system.

Do I need to buy a fence system before building the extension, or should the order not matter?
Should I allow for a back rail, or purchase a fence with only a front rail?
If only a front rail, can you use hold down clamps on the fence or board-buddies?
The right edge of the TS is 53.5" from the wall. I don't think I need more because of the slider on the left side. Agree? Disagree?

I plan on wrapping the extension table around the back, but I don't know if the wrap-around will be one piece or two. The current table is there more as a workbench and will be replaced with what I build:

Finally, where the heck to buy a fence? I went to the woodworking show in Portland a few weeks ago and nobody was selling fences! argh. Woodcrafters doesn't carry any fences and neither does the other tool shops. Am I looking in the wrong places?

All I know right now is that I don't want an Incra as I don't have the space required to the right and that I probably don't want a Unifence because I want to be able to use axillary fences, board buddies, and clamps.

frank shic
12-19-2010, 9:42 PM
mark spagnuolo (sp?) aka the wood whisperer has a great episode on building an easy extension table out of just plywood and i believe he recently upgraded to a incra fence on his powermatic cabinet saw and it has a back rail. if you get a unifence you won't have to worry about a back rail getting in the way. i got one off of craigslist and just had to buy a new front fence rail off of amazon.com. i thought the unifence was designed so that you could easily use accesories, no? was also wondering how you like that JET sliding table? it's funny because i'm in the process of reinstalling my powermatic contractor's table saw and i'm planning on building an extension table that is wide enough to meet up with the edge of the side extension table and yet deep enough so that the plywood won't fall off the edge as a i crosscut it on an exaktor sliding table (THE BIG MAMA lol).

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2010, 9:42 PM
Lots of places online sell fence systems. Look at Mike's Tools for one place that at least has Biese parts. Amazon might have fences too, like the Vega and probably others. Now, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Unifence, but I thought it was the one that would accept accessories. The Biese fence, on the other hand, is not set up for auxiliary pieces to add to it. I have thought about screwing down a piece of t-track on the top against the back side of my Biese fence, though, to make it more versatile.
I think it would be easier to have the fence first. Most fence systems that are Biese clones only clamp on the front, but use the angle iron in the rear to help attach and secure the extension table to the saw. You don't want it to move. There are some systems that pinch the front and rear rails to secure the fence in place. Either design should allow you to use hold downs and board buddies.
Once the fence is in place, you can build the extension table to fit. That way, you can't build it too short. Too long wouldn't be a big deal. The factory extension table that came with my Grizzly G0691 was damaged in shipping. No big deal to me as I was planning to move the rails to the right, and would need to build a bigger one. They graciously allowed me to trade the replacement extension table for 4 very nice casters I used to make the mobile platform for the saw. I made mine as a torsion box out of 1/2" MDF and covered it with high pressure laminate. I love it. Has stayed very flat so far. I would make the outfeed table separate. Mine is mobile, also a torsion box design, on the left side, and I kept my contractor saw that is in an L pattern off the back of the extension table, and it doubles as an outfeed table for cross cutting sheet goods where I need a lot of table out the back side.
Hope this helps some. Jim.

Don Jarvie
12-20-2010, 8:46 AM
Jim is dead one with getting the fence 1st. This way you can build your table around it so it fits correctly.

Chris Strizver
12-20-2010, 11:12 AM
was also wondering how you like that JET sliding table?

I really like it. When I had the saw set up in a temporary configuration last year I used it to make 20+ carcasses for my home addition. Even though I know it wasn't completely tuned, I was able to bang out cuts production style while dealing with 3/4" sheet goods by myself. My only complaint, that should be fixable with some imagination, is that you must crawl underneath the plywood sheet in order to turn the saw on.

Are the Biese-type fences really $400+?!? I thought they were under $300. *slowly crawls to ask the wife for a budget*

Chris Strizver
12-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Aren't Delta fences and Biesemeyer fences the same these days? Can someone explain the differences between these two fences to me?

DELTA BC30 30 Inch Commercial (http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-BC30-Commercial-Biesemeyer-Table/dp/B0007SXH2S/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1292866604&sr=1-4) -- $406.99
DELTA 36-T30 T2 30-Inch Fence and Rail System (http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-36-T30-30-Inch-Fence-System/dp/B000H0R1S2/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1292866604&sr=1-3) -- $219.99

I don't see what $200 buys. Help?

frank shic
12-20-2010, 1:27 PM
if you happen to be passing through the san francisco bay area in the near future i can sell you my old powermatic accufence (very similar to biesmeyer) and front and rear rails for less than half the delta 36-t30 since i won't be using them ever again. i too have to crawl under the sheet to hit the on/off button - probably not the safest way to manage a table saw but you do what you can...

Chris Strizver
12-20-2010, 1:45 PM
Thanks for the offer Frank, but:
1. Won't be going through your area
2. I don't want to break forum rules and set up sales outside of the classifieds. (I'm not a contributor, yet)

Leaning towards a Vega at this point, but darn I'd like it if there was a store that had a selection to actually go touch. I hate buying stuff like this without touching it.

Lloyd McKinlay
12-20-2010, 4:40 PM
Grizzly is closing out one style of the Shop Fox fences (not the Classic). You might want to check the online 2010 clearance catalog.

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2010, 7:58 PM
Yeah, the Biese fences are expensive. I won't tell you what I paid for mine a few years back when Lowe's was blowing them out of the store, except to say I can buy the 78" rail set to add to the new saw, and still be over $100.00 less than the price you quoted for the commercial system above!:eek: ;) I think the difference in the two fences above is one is the Biese, and one is the T-2. Not in the same league, but many like the T-2 very well. Jim.

Andrew Nemeth
12-20-2010, 8:46 PM
Check out the Shop Fox Classic from Grizzly. For around $310 you can get the fence with 7' rails and leg set delivered. It is a Bies clone and get very good reviews. I will be ordering one very soon.

-Andrew