PDA

View Full Version : My first turning - Rosewood Box

Tim Thiebaut
12-19-2010, 8:01 PM
I had picked up a book on making lidded boxes a few weeks back has I love the ones I have seen here, so I made that my first turning with my lathe, well my first turning in over 15 years for that matter. Please feel free to give me any and all advice, as a matter of fact I would love to get any advice you all can give. Hope you enjoy the pictures, there is a quarter laying on the ways next to the box for scale. It is finished with CAm this is the first time I have ever used it for this as well, Tim

John Keeton
12-19-2010, 8:03 PM
Tim, saw this sitting on the lathe in the other pics of your shop area - very well done! Would look better in front of the lathe background material, though!:rolleyes:

charlie knighton
12-19-2010, 8:04 PM
very nice.....

Roland Martin
12-19-2010, 8:10 PM
Nice box, Tim. Well done!

dan carter
12-19-2010, 9:01 PM
Nice job on your first of many. Your new lathe made it easier to pick up where you left off.

Michael James
12-19-2010, 9:02 PM
Nice Tim - I practiced those is pine but never did a "real" one. I don't know if it's the light or ?? but that looks more like tulipwood than rosewood, but they are both dalbergias. I have some RW left in board form that is very chocolate-y with purple lines. Anyway, that doesn't detract from the nice job you did!
mj

Rich Aldrich
12-19-2010, 9:09 PM
Nice job. I reminds me of a miniature thermos.

Baxter Smith
12-19-2010, 9:42 PM
Nice little box.

Roger Chandler
12-19-2010, 9:48 PM
Now thats what I'm talkin' about! Okay Tim, you have jumped in with both feet now, and there is no turning back! Welcome to the VORTEX!!!

Jim Burr
12-19-2010, 9:52 PM
Nice work Tim!!! Pic's need some work but it's a cool little box. Those are not east to make!!

David E Keller
12-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Heck of a job for a first... Lidded boxes can be pesky. Looking forward to #2.

Richard Madden
12-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Good job Tim. After doing a few, you may want to give threaded boxes a try. The fun and challenges are never ending.

Tim Thiebaut
12-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Thank you all so much for the kind words and encouragement! I was scratching my head a little while making it, but the book I bought was very helpful, besides all of the tebits of info I have picke dup around here.

@ MIchael - The wood was from a blank I bought at Rocklers, it was marked Rose, but they could have marked it wrong.

@ Richard - I do want to try making some threaded ones once I get some more practise under my belt, I even bought the Sorby Thread Chaser Kit, it is sitting pretty in my tool chest down stairs just waiting for me to get a little more experience!

@ Jim - I know I need to work on my pic skills, but to be honest when I got done this afternoon I was so excited to have something of my own to post and share here I was in a hurry to get it posted and get some feedback! lol

John Coloccia
12-20-2010, 12:08 AM
re: rosewood

There's something called Yucatan Rosewood which is lighter and browner than an East Indian or Bolivian. I'm guessing that's what he's got.

Mark Hubl
12-20-2010, 1:12 AM
Nice first project. Hollowing and a lid on the first turning are definetly add to the challenge.

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2010, 4:39 PM
Nice work Tim - especially considering this is your first! Pretty wood!