PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Bolts

Jeff Mackay
12-19-2010, 7:58 PM
Only partially woodworking related. We have an Italian-made crib that uses metric knockdown fasteners. But we lost the whole lot of fasteners in our last move. Now we have a neighbor who wants to borrow the crib, but we have no way to assemble it. So off to the local hardware store. The crib uses 5mm "allen head" bolts, and all the local hardware store stocks is 1/4-20. I searched online, and couldn't find anything at Woodcraft, Rockler, Fastenal, Grainger, or anyplace else I could think of. We're talking about 5mm bolts that are 1-1/4", 2", 3-3/4", 4 3/4" long. Can anybody point me to a source?

Thanks, Jeff

Bernhard Lampert
12-19-2010, 8:08 PM
Fastenal, MSC or enco will have them. Fastenal may have a store where you live in addition to mail order. MSC and Enco ore mail order.
Good luck,
Bernhard

Eric DeSilva
12-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Might also try McFeeleys, my recollection was that they had a lot of Euro RTA fasteners.

Lee Schierer
12-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I think what you are looking for are called connector bolts (http://www.younturn.com.tw/connectorbolets.htm).http://www.younturn.com.tw/images/products/test-1-b.jpg

Logan William
12-20-2010, 12:59 PM
McMaster Carr

Jeff Mackay
12-21-2010, 9:51 PM
Thanks for the responses everybody. I had already checked Mcfeely's and Fastenal. No luck. Lee, I think you're right. I took a look at the link you posted, and it looks like that was the closest match, but it didn't look like they had 5mm. It turns out that the crib has been recalled, and the drop-side cribs are now out of favor. Our neighbors passed and found something else. So it looks like I'll have some scrap wood :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff

Ruperto Mendiones
12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Only partially woodworking related. We have an Italian-made crib that uses metric knockdown fasteners. But we lost the whole lot of fasteners in our last move. Now we have a neighbor who wants to borrow the crib, but we have no way to assemble it. So off to the local hardware store. The crib uses 5mm "allen head" bolts, and all the local hardware store stocks is 1/4-20. I searched online, and couldn't find anything at Woodcraft, Rockler, Fastenal, Grainger, or anyplace else I could think of. We're talking about 5mm bolts that are 1-1/4", 2", 3-3/4", 4 3/4" long. Can anybody point me to a source?

Thanks, Jeff

While the crib is a past issue, file away this.
boltdepot.com
Nearly everything in imperial and metric sizes.

Ruperto

David Cefai
12-22-2010, 2:38 PM
5mm is 3/16". I don't know if the threads would match though. I assume that the nuts are captive, otherwise you could bore out to 1/4", it's only 1.25mm more.

Remember that drop-side cribs are a lot easier on the back. I put three children through drop-side cribs and never had a problem.