PDA

View Full Version : Curly maple/Walnut H.F.

Roland Martin
12-19-2010, 6:19 PM
Thank you very much, Steve S. & John K. for your help and direction on this when I was stumped :confused:
Curly maple hollowed and black walnut collars added and one coat of AO so far. Probably the biggest thing I would change is the height of the walnut foot, otherwise I'm fairly happy with this one.
Thanks for looking, and as always, critiques & comments are welcome and a great help for improvements.

dan carter
12-19-2010, 6:58 PM
Nice finish, good shape. Not sure about the knob; think it would be better with a taller finial shape.

Robert Culver
12-19-2010, 7:25 PM
Nice work I like it Im no Turner YET but this is what I see I like the over all shape and form of it. I think it seems a bit off balance. I dont have much of a trained Eye either what I may have done if it were mine would have been to make the thickness of the stem an knob the same at there thinest point match. I like the knob I think it works well.

Michael James
12-19-2010, 7:50 PM
Roland that's a very nice piece as is. Hindsight is always 20/20. And sometimes the conceptualiztion once "externalized" isn't the same. I like the shape, and have not added the upper/lower attachments as of yet myself so my opinion would is just that. I like it!

John Keeton
12-19-2010, 8:17 PM
Roland, I think you did very well pulling this off. It is a difficult piece - both conceptually, and from the standpoint of execution. We did discuss the thinner base, and perhaps it could be a little wider. Rob's comment on the cove of the knob matching that of the base is a good one, as well. And, changing the profile of the knob to mimic the revised form might help, too. I thought it was interesting that Dan commented on the need for a little height in the knob/finial, as Steve had mentioned that.

Lots of good input here! You did an excellent job in executing this - good finish, nice curves, smooth lines. Very well done piece.

Jon Lanier
12-19-2010, 9:39 PM
I love curly Maple. I think there is a good design in there.

Rich Aldrich
12-19-2010, 9:40 PM
Roland - that really looks cool. Nice contrast and form.

Richard Madden
12-19-2010, 9:48 PM
Great job Roland! I like it. Walnut and maple are go-together woods. Nice job.

Jim Burr
12-19-2010, 9:54 PM
Grain of salt Roland...overall, it's really nice!! The knob doesn't work on this one and maybe a bit thinner walnut platform on the base. Again...overall, it's a great chunk-o-wood!

Baxter Smith
12-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Very interesting piece Roland. My first thought when looking at the picture was that it was a very pretty lidded pedestal dish. (Because of the knob-but I guess it isn't). Then I was kind of disappointed because I thought it would be a great one!:) With that in mind, my comments are skewed and worth even less than little.

From the top view, I think I would have liked it better if the knob itself had been just made from all curly maple-eliminating the lower part of walnut.
Although you have duplicated the shape on the base of the knob with the base of the pedestal, I think I would have preferred a narrower piece of walnut on the bottom and a simple smooth curve that would be more in keeping with what I think are beautiful curves on the main form.

Some pieces I find very interesting because they make me think about the little things that appeal to me and this is one of them. Thanks for sharing!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
12-19-2010, 11:27 PM
First off, I think you did a great job on the piece -- it's very intersting. I would like to see the base a bit wider at the bottom too, to my eye it looks as if it would tip over. I could be totally off base, but I think losing the knob at the top would make the proportion better on this -- but that is really nitpicky! It is fantastic work!

Mark Hubl
12-19-2010, 11:37 PM
I think you did pretty good on the piece Roland. I like maple and walnut together.

Lupe Duncan
12-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Very nice Roland. I like it, Im not too sure about the top knob but i would be proud to be able to do that.

Roland Martin
12-20-2010, 8:14 AM
Roland, I think you did very well pulling this off. It is a difficult piece - both conceptually, and from the standpoint of execution. We did discuss the thinner base, and perhaps it could be a little wider. Rob's comment on the cove of the knob matching that of the base is a good one, as well. And, changing the profile of the knob to mimic the revised form might help, too. I thought it was interesting that Dan commented on the need for a little height in the knob/finial, as Steve had mentioned
Lots of good input here! You did an excellent job in executing this - good finish, nice curves, smooth lines. Very well done piece.

Everobody's comments and suggestions are so very important in helping me learn and take a closer look at the entire turning. I seem to find it difficult to get a good perspective of the various parts when viewing them horizontally on the lathe. What seems to be right on the lathe is certainly different, with me anyway, when the parts are put together in the upright view. It will be easy to play around with different finials/knobs to see what may look best, as this is a loose piece, but the base/pedestal is glued in, so that'll be a bit more difficult to address. I am in the process of building a vacuum chuck and I think I'll wait until that's complete to re-do the pedestal, since the top of the form is too thin to take the pressure of a jaw or donut chuck.

Very interesting piece Roland. My first thought when looking at the picture was that it was a very pretty lidded pedestal dish. (Because of the knob-but I guess it isn't). Then I was kind of disappointed because I thought it would be a great one!:) With that in mind, my comments are skewed and worth even less than little.

From the top view, I think I would have liked it better if the knob itself had been just made from all curly maple-eliminating the lower part of walnut.
Although you have duplicated the shape on the base of the knob with the base of the pedestal, I think I would have preferred a narrower piece of walnut on the bottom and a simple smooth curve that would be more in keeping with what I think are beautiful curves on the main form.

Some pieces I find very interesting because they make me think about the little things that appeal to me and this is one of them. Thanks for sharing!

I do suppose this could have easily been a lidded dish Baxter. I am inclined to try a maple finial as you noted and do away with the walnut base, since there is already a walnut collar underneath. I could use some practice on turning finials anyway.

Nice work I like it Im no Turner YET but this is what I see I like the over all shape and form of it. I think it seems a bit off balance. I dont have much of a trained Eye either what I may have done if it were mine would have been to make the thickness of the stem an knob the same at there thinest point match. I like the knob I think it works well.

Thanks Robert. These things are still able to be addressed and value your input on this. Where else but the Creek can one gather all of these ideas. I really can't wait until I get my vacuum chuck ready.

David E Keller
12-20-2010, 9:10 AM
This is a really stiking form, Roland. I think you nailed the curves on the main form, but something seems off to me. After studying it for a few days, I'm still not sure I know what it is, but I wonder if it's the contrast between the crisp shoulder line on the main form and the softer details of the base and knob. I don't know, but I thought I'd share my confusion with you.

Roland Martin
12-20-2010, 9:22 AM
This is a really stiking form, Roland. I think you nailed the curves on the main form, but something seems off to me. After studying it for a few days, I'm still not sure I know what it is, but I wonder if it's the contrast between the crisp shoulder line on the main form and the softer details of the base and knob. I don't know, but I thought I'd share my confusion with you.

Confused?:confused: That's how I see it on my end too, haha:D. John told me from the getgo that the main body form was going to be a tough one to follow through with, but I 'aint giving up yet! Thanks David.

charlie knighton
12-20-2010, 9:53 AM
very nice....

Scott Hackler
12-20-2010, 9:58 AM
Roland, this is very nice. You sure have improved your turning skills over the last few months!

On this one I like the form, but as menationed, I thought it was a lidded dish before I read and studied the pictures. I think it is the shape. Looks like it should be a candy dish! On the form, as is, I like everything but the knob. The knob's cove should match the thinnest part of the pedestal and I would prefer a little more height in the knob. Not much, maybe 1/4-1/2".

Again, very nice job.

Ron Stadler
12-20-2010, 12:04 PM
You know, when I first looked at this piece I thought Wow thats cool, and until others had mentioned the knob and stem should be closer to the same size I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but I do have to agree with them now after looking at it closer, just another lesson learned for you and me I guess, nice job though, looks great.

gary Zimmel
12-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Real nice work on this one Roland

Roger Chandler
12-20-2010, 1:04 PM
I am really liking this one! Great job Roland! A very unique form, that has interesting appeal for its "out of round" saucer/ogee components.

I think you get an A+ for this one! The pedestal is proportional and so is the knob on the top. Really good work Roland!