PDA

View Full Version : Gluing acrylic boxes

Adrian Hill
12-19-2010, 1:58 PM
For starters, Hi Rodne,

I also live in Cape Town, South Africa and I used to have offices quite close to Rone's business. I've been lurking around the list for a very long time, reading & learning. I finally purchased a 70W 900mm x 1600mm laser cutter. The machine is used for a variety of purposes but mainly to manufacture HO scale model train parts. We have been resin casting most of the parts but of course, resin casting is terribly inefficient for flat objects like train sides.

We now manufacture a variety of parts in UHI and plywood. I haven't been able to source plywood thinner than 3mm but hopefully I'll sort that out in the new year. Another thing is to find a laserable material that is about 0.25-0.5mm thick, fairly rigid, and that keeps its shape when bent (like brass)

Anyway, I need to manufacture wood & acrylic display boxes for a customer. The problem that I have is to glue the boxes together neatly. I can do it by engraving the mating edges and removing th covering and then putting Tensol onto the edge. I then remove the covering once the glue dries. Cleaning the inside of the box is very time consuming and the glued surface doesn't look very good from the outside.

There must be a better way to put the boxes together?

Chris Tatarian
12-19-2010, 3:06 PM
Two Great materials That I can think of are Laserboard and Vectoboard. They cut beautifully with very little power. You can PM me and I can tell you where you can get these products.

Chris

Adrian Hill
12-19-2010, 3:16 PM
Ah, I did som searching on the board and found the answers to my gluing Acrylic problem.