PDA

View Full Version : Can't think of the name

Peter Odell
12-19-2010, 1:43 PM
I am looking for the name of the powder fill that can be laser burned into the mat.

Martin Boekers
12-19-2010, 3:05 PM
This site sells some (never used it so can't recommend or discourage it)

www.smoke-wood.com/SM-wd-21.HTML (http://www.smoke-wood.com/SM-wd-21.HTML)

Others have had luck with laser toner and powdercoat.

Powdercoat is cheap at places like Harbor Freight.

John Noell
12-19-2010, 7:55 PM
I have used the Harbor Freight powder paint for several projects and it worked quite well. It can be a bit messy. :)

Ross Lowry
12-20-2010, 6:11 AM
Can you give us some tips on using powder paint? Maybe some settings. I always thought about trying the powder paint you can get a fishing stores for jig heads but haven't yet.

Gary Hair
12-20-2010, 2:56 PM
I engrave the wood, plastic, etc., with my normal settings then I spread the powder coat on the surface and use a business card (someone else's...) to make sure it's in all the spaces I want to fill. Then I laser it at low speed and low power to "melt" it into place. To clean up I just vacuum the mess, simple and fast. You can make a second pass if you need to fill in any gaps but if you use lots of powder and spread it will with the business card, you'll get it with the first coat.

My laser is 30 watts and runs at 80 ips, I use 100% power and 60% speed for rastering the text (works for most hardwoods) and 20% power and 70% speed to melt the powder. You will have to adjust your settings for your wattage/speed, but this will give you a good place to start.

Martin Boekers
12-20-2010, 3:42 PM
Gary I take it you don't use air assist! Just kidding!:D

Peter Odell
12-20-2010, 4:27 PM
That brings up a good question Martin will the air push the powder out of the engraving

Gary Hair
12-20-2010, 5:32 PM
That brings up a good question Martin will the air push the powder out of the engraving
Absolutely

John Noell
12-20-2010, 5:51 PM
I generally use about 20% power and 80% speed with my (weak) 45 watt.