PDA

View Full Version : Offset and Textured Candle Holder

Scott Hackler
12-19-2010, 1:07 PM
Here is a little experiment I did last night. I have always liked multi-axis turnings and carving and pyrography. This piece was more of an experiement sample to see what I could do with the equipment I own. This was turned on 3 different centers, dimpled with a dull dremel bit (i.e., burned effect in the dimples) and edges touched up with a simple wood burner. 4 1/2" x 2". Tung oil finish.

Pretty wierd huh?

Comments always welcome. Thanks.

tom martin
12-19-2010, 1:11 PM
Very nice scott! I really like the surface treatment!

Lee Koepke
12-19-2010, 1:32 PM
Thats pretty amazing.
Looks like you could drop a marble at the top and watch it spin alllll the way down!

John Keeton
12-19-2010, 2:06 PM
Scott, I like the effect you have here! Has the makings of a crankshaft look. Neat coloration and texture - very "out of the box!"

Colin MacDiarmid
12-19-2010, 2:37 PM
like it nice work, not weird at all

Curt Fuller
12-19-2010, 2:49 PM
I like it Scott. And I think the texturing really adds to the wackiness of the overall design. That's pretty cool!

gary Zimmel
12-19-2010, 2:54 PM
It sure is different Scott. But I sure like it...

David DeCristoforo
12-19-2010, 3:19 PM
I'm crackin' up at John's crankshaft remark. That was my first thought too. But it's a really cool looking crankshaft! Very unusual looking piece of work. I like it...

Paul Douglass
12-19-2010, 3:21 PM
Weird NO! Very nice. I like the look.

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2010, 3:37 PM
This is really cool! Would make for a wonderful set using 3" pillar candles! Nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2010, 4:02 PM
Scott.......very unique and I like it. The form is receptive to the texturing and it is not only appropriate but enhances the overall piece. I like it!

dan carter
12-19-2010, 4:06 PM
Very nice, Good experiment. But, could you duplicate it? :-)

Doug W Swanson
12-19-2010, 4:11 PM
At least I'm not the only one who thinks it looks like a crankshaft!

I really like it and think it looks great!

Mark Hubl
12-20-2010, 1:07 AM
I think it is a fun piece. Has a nice texture and the how'd you turn that appeal.

Harvey M. Taylor
12-20-2010, 2:11 AM
Sure wish I could do that. Care to share? Max

Jerry Marcantel
12-20-2010, 9:02 AM
Hi Scott, nice piece. Well done, but now the questions begin..... You said 3 centers. Did you center both tail and headstock the same 3 times, or did you just change one or the other. What speed did you use, and how long did it take. Last question; Was there any pucker factor involved? Again, nice turning. ...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Roland Martin
12-20-2010, 9:42 AM
Darn right it's weird, that's what makes it look so cool. That's a great experiment Scott and excellent results in every aspect.

Scott Hackler
12-20-2010, 9:43 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. It's kinda funny how a technique experiment can be well received! Maybe I need to make more of these!

Max and others, This was a 2" square X 5" long blank. I turned it between centers, multiple centers. I had marked three center points (mirrored on both ends) and did the various turnings while moving to the different marks. I cut in "V's" while on the different centers. The ends were turned round while on the dead center marks and the botom became a tenon that I used in the chuck to turn the opposite end with a recess for the candle. Sounded like a propeller on the lathe. You turn A LOT of air in this technique! Mostly turned at 1000 rpms.

Sanding was nearly impossible on the lathe, with so many finger busters flying around, so any sanding done was done by hand. The round dremel bit I started with was appearantly dull and left burnt dimples. At first I was mad, but it kind of looked cool so I continued and tah dah thats what I got.

It was very tedious to do all the texturing and my carpal tunnel was acting up several times before I finished all the dimples.

Hope this explains the process to those who didn't know how it was done.

Thanks

Scott Hackler
12-20-2010, 9:46 AM
Jerry, the "pucker factor" wasn't too bad. I have experimented with offset turning before, so I knew what to expect. I had the piece VERY tightly wedged between centers so it wouldnt fly off and slap me in the head! :)

Ron Stadler
12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Awe, Dan took my reply, I would like two exactly the same please.:)

Scott Hackler
12-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Awe, Dan took my reply, I would like two exactly the same please.:)

I might just attempt that to show you two! :) I don't like the idea of it, but it wouldn't be nearly as hard to duplicate as some forms. Strange as that might sound.

Jon McElwain
12-20-2010, 2:38 PM
Good job with the surface treatment! These multi axis turnings have a tendency to look way more accidental and haphazard than this piece, giving them a much less artistic feel. This one with the surface treatment actually looks whimsical and fun in addition to having the appearance of being thought out. But the surface treatment makes it all happen!

Baxter Smith
12-20-2010, 2:45 PM
Great job Scott! Even if somewhat accidental! The texturing brings all of the ins and outs together into a very appealing piece.

Tim Thiebaut
12-20-2010, 7:55 PM
I think this is just one of the coolest things! I have watched some videos on youtube with people doing this. Great job on this I think it is very cool!