PDA

View Full Version : Scarf

John Powers
12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm asking in hand tools because the solution may involve hand tools but more because you all seem to find a lot of creative gepettoesque ways of solving challenges. I need to scarf some white oak, 1 1/2" x 3/4" for rub rail on a small rowing/sailboat. I know I need a long angle that exactly mates for glue up. For 1/4" okume planks I can do the scarf with a la block plane, slathering on thickened epoxy. I'm guessing there's a 6 to 1 ratio based on the 3/4" dimension. Is this just a job for a sharp handsaw or is there a more precise way to proceed?

Tony Zaffuto
12-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Can't give you the exact answer, but Jim Tolpin described doing this joint in one of his books and I believe in a PWW article. He makes it very simple to do without math. In a nutshell (IIRC) you make one cut, temporary secure that piece in place, make an approximate cut on the other piece and put in place and run a hand saw through the kerf between the two pieces. I suggest looking up Tolpin's methods!

lowell holmes
12-19-2010, 1:06 PM
IIRC 6:1 or 8:1 ratio.

The Dory Book by John Gardner (RIP) has an illustrated section, pages 94-99, showing using a hand plane.

I bet if this post was in the boat building forum, a lot of information will be shared.

Bill Houghton
12-19-2010, 5:22 PM
Haven't done it, but one of the boatbuilding books I read back when I fantasized about building one recommended doing a rough cut, then stacking the boards one on top of the other with the outsides facing*, clamping them, and planing the scarf. As with jointing boards that will go into a panel, planing the two boards at the same time was supposed to align the joint. I have to say, though, Tolpin's suggestion, which is an oldie but goodie, seems like a good approach.

*in other words, the future outsides of the boards touching each other. With a scarf joint, I doubt it would matter if you oriented with the outsides or the insides touching.

Tony Zaffuto
12-19-2010, 5:32 PM
Somewhat similar to what Jim Tolpin wrote, with the exception instead of planing to fit, just run your handsaw down the kerf or joint.