PDA

View Full Version : Tank topper

Dan Gill
01-05-2005, 9:14 AM
Here's a pic of one of my quickie scrap-using projects from last week. It fits nicely on the tank of the toilet I just installed, and replaces an very, very ugly old plastic thing that had two melted spots from neglected candles. This one is made of scraps of the HD maple/birch ply with solid maple edging. The top is a piece of cherry I picked up out of a cabinet shop scrap pile. The handles are chunks of molding from a similar source. The cock beading on the back edges are strips cut from that same molding. Finished with equal parts BLO/poly/mineral spirits. One of those projects where it took longer for the glue to dry than it did to put it together.

Marshall Harrison
01-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Nice work Dan though personally I've never seen the use for those things setting on the back of a toilet. But if you've got to have one then this one sure looks good.

Thanks for showing a pic of it on the table instead of it's finally resting place. :D

Byron Trantham
01-05-2005, 1:52 PM
Norm would be proud of you, having that 'Yankee" mentality of making everything useful! :D I think it will be a conversation piece. "Honey, why can't you make something like that for me?" :D

Charlie Woods
01-05-2005, 2:06 PM
Very Nice Dan. Another mans Scraps is another mans creation. I like trying to find productive uses(ie.... creating) for as much of my scraps as possibe.

Charlie

Dan Gill
01-05-2005, 3:25 PM
Nice work Dan though personally I've never seen the use for those things setting on the back of a toilet.

Oh, it basically holds a couple of rolls of paper, plus some candles and other junk that would otherwise be cluttering up the very limited counter space. This is in our tiny master bath, and every cubic inch counts in there.

Jim Dunn
01-05-2005, 4:40 PM
A question?

Is that p-- proof finish? Is your wife going to make you set down from now on? Other wise it's very nice indeed.

Marshall Harrison
01-06-2005, 7:14 AM
Dan, I've seen the plastic ones before but never a wooden one. Is the weight going to be a problem?

Dan Gill
01-06-2005, 8:47 AM
Dan, I've seen the plastic ones before but never a wooden one. Is the weight going to be a problem?

No. I'ts not that heavy. Besides, ceramic is quite strong.

Dan Gill
01-06-2005, 8:48 AM
A question?

Is that p-- proof finish? Is your wife going to make you set down from now on? Other wise it's very nice indeed.

If I hit it up that high, I'd better switch to sitting down. :D Besides, how can you read a woodworking magazine if you don't sit down?