PDA

View Full Version : Impressions - Bosch Dual Bevel Glide Compound Miter Saw

Robert Chapman
12-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I've had my new Bosch glider for about two weeks so it's time for feedback/impressions.

The hinged vs sliding mechanism on this saw is a major break though in woodworking tool design - right up there with the Saw Stop blade safety technology. The mechanism is extremely smooth and rigid. Side play is minimal and only evident if you conciously pull the saw to the side.

Squareness is adjusted [if needed] by moving the detents which are attached to the base instead of cast into the base - an easier more efficient way of making this adjustment. My saw was spot on right out of the box.

Bosch has machined slight swirles into the fence and base surfaces to give slight resistance to materieal slippage - you no longer need to glue sand paper to fence surfaces.

Other reviews have pointed out other positive attributes of this saw. It is a very well designed and executed tool which should perform well for years.

I highly recommend this tool.

Logan William
12-19-2010, 11:13 AM
We bought one at work to potentially replace some 15" Hitachi chop saws and although we haven't put it on the line yet I've been pretty impressed with it when playing with it. As noted the slide is very smooth, they put in some nice, very functional locks/features to make it even better and more useful. My only minor gripe so far is I think it would've been nice if they could've integrated the bevel adjustment into one handle instead of two. Its not hard to adjust, but when going from the blade beveled right and moving left or vice versa you have to swap hands on the locking handles in order to get it past center and to the other side. Not a huge deal but just wanted to throw it out there.

Jim Stewart
12-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I like mine as well. I agree with all the above. The one thing that I have noticed is that there are saw blade marks left on the cut. The boards are dead square. I bought this thing because of it's large cut capacity. I will always clean the cut ends with a block plane anyway. The reason I mention the saw marks is that I saw a Festool demo and it appeared that the ends were cut dead smooth. I decided to go with the Bosch because of; 1. cut capacity, 2. cut capacity with accuracy. 3. What appears to be a superior design for long term accuracy.

I wonder about the runout specs of the motor bearings even though the resulting cuts are smooth. Anyone know about this?

It looks like a winner.

Mark Ashmeade
12-19-2010, 12:27 PM
How noisy is it? My main gripe with CMSs is the raucous noise of the things. I like the idea of the glide system though on the Bosch. I'd be replacing a RAS with it, which has a quietly humming induction motor. I'd be grateful for a few words about the noise.

Robert Chapman
12-19-2010, 2:13 PM
This saw is not particularly quiet. I have mine plugged into my shop vac so both come on at the same time. I can hear the shop vac over the saw. I don't feel like I need ear protectioin.

As for smoothnes of cut - I changed the Bosch blade out for a Forrest 90 tooth Chopmaster and the cuts are super smooth - Like they have been finished with 400 grit sandpaper.

Dan Karachio
12-19-2010, 4:37 PM
Can you please write your experiences with its dust collection? That is supposed to be another advancement in this saw - something like 92% with a vac attached. Of course, you can't measure % at home (or maybe some can), but how is dust collection compared to the garden variety non existant dust collection on most miter saws? If you know, how does it compare to the Kapex in dust collection?

Robert Chapman
12-19-2010, 5:23 PM
With my current vac which I haven't cleaned or emptied in a long time, I would estimate the dust collection at 90%. The saw leaves a small sprinkling of sawdust on the saw behind the blade. I cannot compare to a Kapex.

Larry Edgerton
12-20-2010, 6:29 PM
I am waiting to hear from someone using it on Azek. I do a "lot" of azek and have not found a slider, including the Kapex that does not get buildup on the slides.

This saw may solve that problem. I was given a Kapex by a dealer to try but the same issues, and I own most of the rest, hitachi, Makita and Dewalt. I tried to talk the dealer into letting me try one but no dice right now as they are so new.

The Hitachi's have to be cleaned every 10 cuts, the Makita about every 25, and forget the Dewalt, it can't cut right when its clean anyway.

So..... Anyone using one for plastics......

Greg R Bradley
12-22-2010, 5:12 PM
I'm doing semi-production cutting of plastic for displays. Using a CMS (non slider). We bought a 12" Rigid that was onsale for $199 just in case the plastic ruined it. I am guessing it has made 6-8000 cuts through 0.5" x 3". Changed the blade out to appropriate blade obviously.

Matt Day
12-22-2010, 5:46 PM
I'm doing semi-production cutting of plastic for displays. Using a CMS (non slider). We bought a 12" Rigid that was onsale for $199 just in case the plastic ruined it. I am guessing it has made 6-8000 cuts through 0.5" x 3". Changed the blade out to appropriate blade obviously.

I'm not sure what this has to do with reviews of the new Bosch saw.

Greg R Bradley
12-22-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure what this has to do with reviews of the new Bosch saw.

Look at the last line above my response.

Larry Edgerton having issues with sliders cutting plastics and considering the Bosch Glide to work around the problem. The solution we found was to not use a slider at all. Azek is not normally used in sizes that require the cutting width of a slider.