PDA

View Full Version : OT-Firefox problem/issue

Chuck Wintle
12-19-2010, 9:02 AM
I have noticed for the last while Firefox often will not load a website on the first try. Often I need to click the refresh button so it will load a website. has anyone else observed this behavior and, if yes, was there something that could be done about it. thx. :)

Sean Troy
12-19-2010, 9:35 AM
Firefox just had a recent update, have you updated your version?

Chuck Wintle
12-19-2010, 9:39 AM
Firefox just had a recent update, have you updated your version?

Yes I have the latest version which is 3.6.13.

Shawn Pixley
12-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Never seen the problem - Mac or PC?

Chuck Wintle
12-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Never seen the problem - Mac or PC?

PC running WinXP.

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2010, 10:47 AM
I see it every once in a while. Seems to be just a few websites that it happens with. Certainly not across the board on all searches. PC, running :o Win 2k. Jim.

paul cottingham
12-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Remember, firefox is standards compliant, ie is not. So,,,,if a webpage is "optimised" for ie, firefox may not like it, as it probably bends a few standards.

Shawn Pixley
12-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Sorry, never had trouble on the Mac.

Leigh Betsch
12-20-2010, 12:00 AM
I have this problem all the time with Fire Fox. It's pretty annoying. It takes at least two tries to load most pages, including SMC. I think it must be related to me using a satellite system. I'm out in the country and don't have cable or DSL. I thing Firefox must time out waiting for the signal from outer-space! I don't have the problem with IE.

Dan Hintz
12-20-2010, 6:17 AM
Never had this problem with FF...

Chuck Wintle
12-20-2010, 7:44 AM
Never had this problem with FF...

The refusal to load a web page seems to vary from site to site. Not sure where the issue is but usually on the second click it works. maybe it is timing out somehow?

Greg Peterson
12-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Type about:config in the location bar. You may want to alter the interval for the network.http.connect.timeout key. If that doesn't fix it, take a poke around at the other connection settings.

Also, just as a matter of practice, I would suggest dumping the cache.

paul cottingham
12-20-2010, 10:29 AM
You could try disabling all your plugins temporarily. One of them could be causing problems.

Paul Douglass
12-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I have that problem, or something similar but I don't think it is Foxfire I think is my ISP. I think it is traffic related, because it is not necessarily site related.

Chuck Wintle
12-20-2010, 11:12 AM
You could try disabling all your plugins temporarily. One of them could be causing problems.
that is something i can try. I have quite a few plugins/addons.

Chuck Wintle
12-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Type about:config in the location bar. You may want to alter the interval for the network.http.connect.timeout key. If that doesn't fix it, take a poke around at the other connection settings.

Also, just as a matter of practice, I would suggest dumping the cache.

will try that also!

Bryan Morgan
12-20-2010, 5:56 PM
I would suspect something other than Firefox.... Check your DNS settings in your network properties. Write down whatever is there and try setting your primary to 4.2.2.2 and your secondary to 4.2.2.3 and see if this helps. If not, put your old DNS entries back.

Leigh Betsch
12-20-2010, 7:54 PM
I hope you don't mind me tagging along here. When I look at my config file I don't see a network.http.connect.timeout line. Would it be called something else?Any other suggestions?

Neal Clayton
12-20-2010, 9:24 PM
I would suspect something other than Firefox.... Check your DNS settings in your network properties. Write down whatever is there and try setting your primary to 4.2.2.2 and your secondary to 4.2.2.3 and see if this helps. If not, put your old DNS entries back.

i was also gonna suggest that. google also has public DNS servers.

if you google "google public dns" you'll turn up a page with the addresses and instructions for setting them up instead of your ISP's.

Bryan Morgan
12-20-2010, 11:03 PM
i was also gonna suggest that. google also has public DNS servers.

if you google "google public dns" you'll turn up a page with the addresses and instructions for setting them up instead of your ISP's.

Theres also opendns but you have to bow to their moral sensibilities... :)

Brian Ashton
12-21-2010, 6:36 AM
Have you googled your problem? ONe things for sure you are not the only one to have problem and therefore someone has most likely found a solution some where on the planet

Chuck Wintle
12-21-2010, 7:46 AM
Have you googled your problem? ONe things for sure you are not the only one to have problem and therefore someone has most likely found a solution some where on the planet

yes i googled this problem but did not really find the answer.

Bryan Morgan
12-21-2010, 3:50 PM
yes i googled this problem but did not really find the answer.

Did you try changing your DNS settings? What other stuff is on your network? If you have a kid on xbox live or something and you have a slower internet connection you will experience some lag.

paul cottingham
12-21-2010, 8:52 PM
To be clear: does IE act the same way? or google chrome? if not, it is not DNS

Michael Schneider
12-23-2010, 1:40 PM
Never had a problem with firefox. I do a little web development, and not everthing runs on firefox. Some webpages are fully standard, and have trouble with other browsers.

My app are only used in-house, so I test with

1) firefox
2) opera
3) IE

Opera is very good, and is free. You might give it a try and see if you still have the problem. - http://www.opera.com/

Chrome from google is not quite there yet.

Good luck,
Mike