PDA

View Full Version : Router bit extensions?

Brian Knop
01-05-2005, 9:07 AM
Anyone have or used a router bit extension? I have a Hitachi m12 router that I have just installed into a table. It cranks up harded then I would like so if I put in a extension, it wouldn't have to come up on the spings as much, at lease that is my thinking. I also have had problem with the 1/4" collet slipping. This would take care of that problem to. I have a woodpecker lift.
Brian

Jim Becker
01-05-2005, 9:14 AM
"Very scary". Any runout in the extension and bit is amplified with length. I personally would not use them.

mike lucas
01-05-2005, 9:19 AM
I have never used one, but from everything that I have read, they are not a good idea. Most complain about vibration! Which can be dangerous at speeds of 16,000-27,000 rpm. Can you imagine what may happen if the vibration was to cause the bit to dislodge at 20,000+ rpm? Seeing that you have a woodpecker lift, have you considered removing the plunge springs? That should be the first place you look to make it work better. I had a Ryobi RE600 in a table, and without a lift, there was no way to raise the router once it got saw dust on the handles. Removing the plunge springs helped a great deal. It never fixed the problem, but did make a world of difference.