PDA

View Full Version : Good morning turners

Dahl Troy Perry
12-19-2010, 8:09 AM
Good morning turners:D It is 12 deg. in the shop. I,ve turned on the heat waiting for it to warm up so I can go to the Lathe to work on more Christmas presents. Needs to be a little warmer my fingers don,t work at that temp very well. And the coffee cools down fast:eek:

Lee Koepke
12-19-2010, 8:13 AM
Morning to you as well! Its 28 outside, prolly 57 in my shop. Finishin MY coffee and heading back down for more Christmas presents. ALLLLLLL day yesterday, and at least that much today, my hands are sore. HAHA

Bill Bulloch
12-19-2010, 8:17 AM
Don't be such a sissy...A real turner wouldn't let a little thing like hypothermia keep him out of the shop. And a real man prefers his coffee cold.

John Keeton
12-19-2010, 8:35 AM
Good morning! Dahl, for what it is worth, I did a really informal experiment last winter. My shop is very well insulated, so this isn't a suggestion for everyone.

For January, I turned the heat on/off as I used the shop, permitting a couple of hours for things to heat up. The following month, left the heat on continuously - keeping the shop at about 55*, which I feel to be sufficient for a workshop. I dress accordingly.

The shop is on a separate meter, and there was very little difference in the overall bill. In addition, I had a much more comfortable environment because all the cast iron and tools were comfortably heated to the 55*, and I had less issues with corrosion. I do keep my tools well waxed, etc., but I did find with the on/off situation, those tools I handled a lot were more prone to corrosion stain. And, I am able to apply finishes anytime I need to.

May not fit your situation, but for the added comfort, and the ability to go to the shop for a short stint - it is worth it to me. If I am not going to be in the shop daily, then I don't keep the heat on, but I am usually there everyday for at least a while.

Dahl Troy Perry
12-19-2010, 8:49 AM
John I keep the heat on like you do most of the time. But I have a leak in my propane tant 500 gal that when you turn the tank off it leaks. They came out to work on it and said not to turn off tank let it run out so we can put all new valves on .Thanks thanks is great said they would be out within 5 days of when I call. I'm at 5% in the tank don't want to run out this week have a lot of turning to get done for Christmas and off work the week after and want to spend all that time it the shop. With heat!

Bill Blasic
12-19-2010, 9:36 AM
I use an electronic thermostat set at 50°, I have R19 walls and R38 ceiling. At 8 am it goes to 55° which generally equates to about 62° shop temperature which is more than comfortable usually. We have had some very cold weather lately where I have had to bump up the thermostat a few degrees and when I'm done I just hit run on the thermostat and it goes back into the programmed heat cycle.
Bill

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2010, 10:31 AM
My shop has R-28 in the walls and R-38 or so in the ceiling. I have a programable thermostat that sits on 64 deg at 9 pm when not in the shop and 70 deg at 8 am when in there. I also do clock repair so can't let it get to cold or the oil on the clocks will cause them to stop or cause them to run erracticly. Even when it is 0 deg outside the heater only runs maybe 3 or 4 times a day. I figured you can't have to much insulation. Like John I have only seen a $8 difference in my bill at these sittings.

Clint Baxter
12-19-2010, 1:28 PM
My setup is very similar to Bill's description. My walls are at R-19 and the ceiling over R-40. I use a programmable thermostat in the shop set at 53 degrees. Each of the timed settings are set for 53. I will often bump the thermostat up 5 to 10 degrees dependent on what I'm doing. With the programmed settings, I don't have to remember to bump the temp back down again for my "supposed" saver settings. I may not work out there for several days at a time, and I'm sure it saves me some dollars at those times. If I need to maintain a higher temp for finishing or some other project, I just hit the hold temperature button on the thermostat and then select Run Program when done. Fairly efficient, fairly economical and most of all, comfortable to work.

Clint

Ken Hill
12-19-2010, 1:36 PM
Heat..LOL!

Only issue ive had thus far with these cold temps is the aluminum handle on my Thompson...forced me to put on a glove it was so cold! It was 17 this morning and the heat stayed off, if it gets back to single digits I will fire up the pellet stove.

Robert Culver
12-19-2010, 1:52 PM
Hahahaha nothing to be proud of but its so cold in my shop its been snowing in it for weeks.I had to dust the snow off the picnic table today infact. I havent been out in it much because I have been to busy triing to find the blacktop in the driveway. last week my coffie turned into a slushy in about 30 min. I think the wind chill yesterday was-1 So today I had my coffie inside and turned my chisles into razors. thats the nice thing about using hand tools you almost get warm in the winter instead of sweating....... the problem is it all has to go out then come back in then I have to check and re check my tools to keep the condensation off.

Jack Gaskins
12-19-2010, 7:50 PM
I have been wanting to insulate/heat my garage but have a question about air exchange; if you are working in a closed garage how do you get fresh air into the garage to exchange with the used air and dust?