PDA

View Full Version : Wood around Kansas City + Milling Rough wood

Justin Jones RDH
12-19-2010, 1:20 AM
I have never purchased hardwood from a mill/hard wood supplier but I have read up on it a bit. I plan to buy rough and mill it myself. I have a few questions

1. Are there any newbie friendly suppliers in the area?
2. Should I buy completely rough sawn or are other services worth the time/ money (I will have an 8" jointer, 12" Planer and Table saw)
3. How do you know what width to buy?
4. How much waste should I expect?

Please feel free to add anything else that might be valuable retarding this topic.
Best Regards
Justin

Rick Fisher
12-19-2010, 2:01 AM
I buy all my lumber rough, and 90% is 8/4".

If your buying from a mill, is the lumber dry ? If its not dry, you will have to dry it.. which is another topic.

Assuming its dry.. I would buy lumber based on what your going to build. Normally I buy 2x6 thru 2x10. With an 8" Jointer, I would probably buy 2x6 thru 2x8..

Look for grain and color first. Warped boards which are 12' long are no big deal if the project calls for 30" long pieces..

Its all about what your going to build with it .

John McClanahan
12-19-2010, 9:59 AM
I could have ask the very same questions! One thing I do know is, many hardwood saw mills have a minimum order amount, usually in board feet. That is, they don't want to sell just a couple of boards.

John

Dewayne Reding
12-19-2010, 10:25 AM
If you can find a supplier nearby that will sell to you I would suggest you buy a small quantity in different sizes. As a noob, I often purchased what I thought was a good deal, and found out later the massive waste cancelled out my savings. If you buy boards that have at least been rough planed you can see the faults considerably easier. Go there with a particular project in mind. If you are building a wall clock, then a few major defects scattered along an 8+ foot board is not a big deal. That same board might be useless if you need to make a hall table top. I like to buy most of my boards at least 6 inches wide. Seems to lessen the waste. The small mills around here treat me pretty well, but I always try to spend at least $100 so I'm not completely wasting their time.

Logan William
12-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Below is a link to a thread from a guy out of Pittsburg KS looking for some wood sources in the area, I put a couple that I've used before in and around KC.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153464-Where-do-you-guys-get-your-lumber&p=1570456&highlight=#post1570456

John Oliver35
12-19-2010, 1:10 PM
If you are looking for dry wood and just getting started it might be worth a trip to Schutte near downtown KC. They have surfaced hardwoods in an indoor showroom. They will let you waunder around and look if you wish, or answer questions.

Justin Jones RDH
12-19-2010, 6:04 PM
Thanks for the input so far. I will check out that link.

My first project will be several cabinets using mostly 3/4" material. I have read that 4/4 is the typical purchase for milling 3/4" thick stock but i have also heard that is may be better to go 5/4 to give you more wood to work with (or waste, as it sounds to me) Should i consider buying better quality 4/4 wood and expect to be able to plane most to 3/4"?

Dewayne Reding
12-19-2010, 6:47 PM
If you have to buy 5/4 to get 3/4 finished you need a new supplier. 4/4 will be enough. Take a 48" straight edge with you.

Ronald Blue
12-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Here are some links that might help.

http://www.manta.com/mb_44_E01A5_26/sawmills_and_planing_mills_general/missouri
http://www.backfence.com/find/missouri/sawmills/
http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/MOMills/MOMillsSearch.aspx
mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/373.pdf

Jim Andrew
12-20-2010, 6:21 AM
You might check out forestryforum.com I'm sure there are guys sawing lumber locally there.

BOB OLINGER
12-20-2010, 8:55 AM
Justin,

I suggest you check out Liberty Hardwoods. I understand KC is their main office. I purchase from them at their Ankeny, IA location. They are very accommodating, have a good selection (at least what I've needed which is red oak and poplar). If you pick up, I believe you can buy an quantity.

Ryan Hellmer
12-20-2010, 10:40 AM
There's a shop up in Platte City, right across the river from Leavenworth called Bloomer's. Great people, great products, fair prices. 816-330-3596. I've bought from them before, I don't think there's a minimum, but there is a price break at 100 bd/ft. They also do some secondary processing. I ordered stuff planed 13/16 and they did it, a buddy had them t&g flooring for him. Haven't seen it yet, but he was pleased. Give em a call.

Ryan