PDA

View Full Version : Dennis' Knife Box Project - Number 002

Dennis Peacock
01-05-2005, 8:52 AM
Well.....

Here we go again.

Got the knife from the MBS just a bit ago. Very fine work and excellent detail work as usual. I'll post pics after the kids go to bed as I can't let them know where it is hidden so they won't mess with it.

No lining for this box....just wood.
He wants Curly Maple dyed a dark brown color. I assume I should use an anyline die for this? I don't want to obscure the wood grain and still allow the curl in this wood to show. He want a nice finish on this one, but no gloss finish...semi-gloss is preferred. Any suggestions on the topcoat for this? Shellac and then 0000 steel wool? I have some dark garnet shellac mixed up if ya'll think that will get brown enough (close to walnut dark).

He really likes the Rare Earth magnets for keeping the lid closed and I'm tinkering with the idea of taking some shapes from the knife itsself and replicate that design in a handle for the lid. He also likes the foot design I put on the LOML's music box...so that is IN for this box.

The sides will be finger jointed or maybe even through dovetailed. I'll have to get with Mr. Meazle since he has a setup for through Dovetails as I only have a setup for Half-Blind.

If any of you have a design in mind.....I'm open for suggestions. The tolerances on this box is nowhere near what the first box was. Ron is still wanting me to get a Pantograph and start doing inlays that way. He says it's a LOT easier and blindingly fast. :rolleyes:

He has agreed to teach me the tricks of the trade to do inlay work with the Pantograph and has invited me to visit his shop for a demo of how to do inlay with the Pantograph. The work he does on a pantograph is AMAZING!!!!! :eek: ;)

I'll see what I can do to get some pics of the knife. It's a long and beautiful Buoy Knife...sold to a customer in the Netherlands. The owner has to pay $3K just to get the knife to clear customs!! :eek: :eek:

I can not disclose the cost of this knife at this time. Once the customer has the knife, I should have permission to post the value of this knife. Let's just say......if I could sell just one of these knives? I could pay off ALL my consumer debt!!!!! :eek: :D

Maurice Ungaro
01-05-2005, 9:00 AM
Dennis,
That's AWESOME! I think you need to utilize that Dogwood blossom in the box details. BTW, I think it's a Bowie knife....not Buoy (named after Jim Bowie).
Think maybe you can get the knife maker to create some hardware for the box (hinges, latch, etc?).

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Maurice

Chris Padilla
01-05-2005, 10:57 AM
That knife looks heavy, heavy, heavy! I would go with aniline dye for the curly maple. Practise on scrap, of course. Try out that glue I sent you fer chrissakes, too! :mad:

I don't know why, but the knife is calling out to me to have a box shaped like an octagon as in the crudely/quickly drawn attached pic. Multiple angle always makes things fun but the real challenge will be to orient the curl in the maple favorably.... :D

Dennis Peacock
01-05-2005, 11:20 AM
That knife looks heavy, heavy, heavy! I would go with aniline dye for the curly maple. Practise on scrap, of course. Try out that glue I sent you fer chrissakes, too! :mad:

Chris.....the knife is HEAVY!!!!! :eek:

Let's see....OH YEA!!!! The glue you sent me. I need to send that back. I guess I'll have to do that this week. Sorry about keeping it so long....but I can't figure out how to mix "just a tad" of that stuff. The directions say to mix the entire bag with the entire can......I would NEVER need that much glue at ANY time..... ;)

Dan Mages
01-18-2005, 2:04 PM
Dennis. I have not seen any updates. How's the project going?

Mike Mastin
01-18-2005, 3:28 PM
That is one BIG knife :eek:! Make sure that box has a strong lock on it Dennis :D

Keith Christopher
01-18-2005, 3:29 PM
Dennis,

this knife, is it made by Ron Gaston?

Keith

Zahid Naqvi
01-18-2005, 5:30 PM
Keith, that's a Ron Newton knife.

Dave Malen
01-18-2005, 8:01 PM
Dennis,
You might want to try buttonlac. One way to finish curly maple is to raise the grain, sand , apply a diluted aniline dye - like honey maple, then sand until there is dye left in the curls only. Then top coat with shellac.

Dave

Ernie Kuhn
01-19-2005, 2:19 AM
Dennis,
How long is that blade? I don't think I've ever seen a prettier damascus pattern like that.
Ernie

John Olson
01-20-2005, 9:45 PM
That knife is really nice. I know your box will make it even more spectacular. I will enjoy watching you with this project.

Dennis Peacock
01-21-2005, 1:18 AM
Dennis,
How long is that blade? I don't think I've ever seen a prettier damascus pattern like that.
Ernie

Ernie,

The overall knife is 18" long. The blade makes up 12" of that length. Ron uses precious metals for his inlays....so that's NOT brass you see..... :eek: ;)