PDA

View Full Version : Mite saw cart complete (almost)

Matthew Sherman
12-18-2010, 10:51 PM
I have my miter saw cart nearly finished. First project in my finished garage/workshop. I am still in the stage of buying tools and getting stuff setup. I basically went off the plan out of a Fine Woodworking magazine. The plan had a small vacuum in the bottom, but I am going to just use that for storage. I need to buy a measurement stop block system. Came out well. :) I had to improvise a little because Menards was out of the hanger bolts it called for.:mad:

Scott Rollins
12-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Looks good. I have been thinking about building one like this for a while.

Troy Turner
12-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Looks real good. Aughta be able to get alot of use and years outta that.

Don Bullock
12-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for posting your miter saw cart. It looks great.

I've been rethinking my shop plan as I start to get it organized. This cart with the vacuum may be something I'll go with instead of a large bench. I haven't made my final decision because it will be a while before I can build either one. I appreciate the post.

Jaze Derr
12-19-2010, 7:08 PM
Looks great! that exact cart is on my list to build. Not sure if it's coming before or after the drill press stand :) So many shop projects, so little time!

Matt Drewello
12-20-2010, 3:05 PM
I'm planning to build one of those as well. I was going to build a built in unit but dust collection on the Bosch Slider is difficult. With that stand I can roll the whole thing outside onto the driveway and not have to worry about dust collection. Hopefully the wind isn't blowing back into the garage.

Jonathan Link
12-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Which FWW was it? I need to build a similar cart.

Jack Lemley
12-22-2010, 1:36 PM
Issue #209 Winter 2009/10.
Jack

Which FWW was it? I need to build a similar cart.

Alex Horvath
12-22-2010, 3:45 PM
I used the Incra stop system - it looked really good on paper because you can easily add your own custom stop block. For example, on short parts you may need a stop block which projects closer to your saw blade.
They also have a micro adjust feature and a measuring tape is available with the track either of which I don't find real useful.

The only problem with the Incra system is that they use a plastic friction lock knob and even when tightening it as much as possible it can slip if you slide your stock into it with even moderate force. Before I figured this out I really scratched my head when I found that runs of multiple parts were growing! Now that I'm aware of it I'm careful not to hit the stop and it works out real well.

I also made a auxiliary miter saw fence for small parts. This way you can cut small molding extremely accurately and safely. I think it may be shown on Gary Katz's site.