PDA

View Full Version : Worm screw issues...

Ron Stadler
12-18-2010, 8:56 PM
Ok, I'm sure this is come up before, but I just notice when I put my new 3" bowl jaws on my supernova 2 chuck that the worm screw is to short now to thread onto anything:eek:. Does teknatool make a longer worm screw for these jaws, what gives?:confused: I don't want to take off the jaws everytime I want to use the worm screw, any help appreciated, thanks.:)

Matt Owen
12-18-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that the worm screw is designed to work with the 50mm jaws only. Also, they don't make a longer worm screw that I am aware of.

Bill Blasic
12-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Ron,
I was pretty sure of this but I just ran down to the shop to double check. The screw sticks out of both sets of jaws mentioned the same amount. I pretty much use the 3" bowl jaws all the time and most always with the screw and I have no problem holding the wood. I drill an 11/32 hole to screw into.
Bill

Ron Stadler
12-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Ron,
I was pretty sure of this but I just ran down to the shop to double check. The screw sticks out of both sets of jaws mentioned the same amount. I pretty much use the 3" bowl jaws all the time and most always with the screw and I have no problem holding the wood. I drill an 11/32 hole to screw into.
Bill
We must be talking about a different set of jaws Bill, thanks for looking, but the worm screw on mine doesn't stick out at all, matter a fact, I think its a little inset from the face of the jaws. Are the 3" jaws your using rather thick and have gripping grooves on the inside, also there about 3\8" or more taller than the 50 mm jaws, thats why I'm losing the clearance I need for the worm screw.

Ron Stadler
12-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I did see a plate that had a worm screw on it that would fit 4 jaw lathe jaws but darn if I can find it now, looks like you just opened the jaws and stuck this in and clamped it back down, if anyone has seen this and knows where I can find it would you send me the links, thank you.:)

Ron Stadler
12-19-2010, 1:40 PM
oops, not quite sure what I did the first time Bill, but your absolutely right:o, it does still stick out of the jaws about 1/2 inch. I was able to get my bowl back on there and finish roughing. I wish it were a bit longer to be on the safe side though.

What happened though is I bought the new bowl jaws but started roughing with the old 50 mm jaws still on there and after I roughed the outside of the bowl and spigot I put on the new jaws and realized to late that the spigot needed to be deeper, so I put in the worm screw to turn the spigot deeper and some how put it in wrong making me think that it was much to small for new jaws. Anyway everything is fine for now and thanks for the help.:)