PDA

View Full Version : urn advice needed

Jake Helmboldt
12-18-2010, 6:22 PM
I am considering turning an urn, however I have a couple questions for anyone that has experience with them.

1. How do you get the cremains into the urn? Cremains are typically contained in a thick, sealed plastic bag. Bill Grumbine has an example he turned which uses a false bottom for putting the ashes in. However most of the urns I have seen online are shaped in such a way that prevents that as an option.

2. I don't want to spend the money on an elaborate thread cutting system, but I would want to thread the lid. Is there a relatively simple way to cut threads on a hollow form and lid?

Any other advice or tips are appreciated. I know Mike Mahoney has a video, but at this point I'm just gathering info before deciding whether to turn an urn or make a box for the cremains.

thanks, Jake

Dennis Ford
12-18-2010, 6:27 PM
An easy way to get the threads is to cut up some threaded PVC pipe fittings and glue the threaded portions into a recess turned in the urn.

Richard Madden
12-18-2010, 7:00 PM
Jake,
From what I have read some people have used a plastic bag in the urn, then using a stick to smooth out the wrinkles as the cremains are being added. For threads, try this;http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/Threaded_inserts_for_urns.pdf. It works good. One other thing is the volume of the urn. You need one cubic inch of volume for one pound (live weight) going into the urn. In other words, a 120lb. person would require an urn with at least 120 cu. in. of volume. Always better to figure heavy. Use rice, or beans and fill the urn. Pour into a measuring cup and get an accurate count in cups, then convert to cubic inches from a place like here;http://www.easysurf.cc/cnver6.htm. I think one cup= around 14.43 cu. in.

Bob Haverstock
12-18-2010, 7:31 PM
Hi Jake,

I made one just before my Father in-law passed away. My MIL didnot want it sealed before the memorial. Later, one of the family, either sealed it with silicon seal or epoxy putty.

I would have opted for the latex compound, I think a flexible joint would be good. I would try to avoid a situation that might cause a crack in the urn.

Bob Haverstock

robert baccus
12-18-2010, 11:32 PM
i sell a few urns only through a funeral home. they seal the lid with clear silocone glue (lowe's) as a rule. i have sealed a few urns with an interior coating of epoxy resin but they were unimpressed by it so i go now with bare wood inside. --------------ol forester

james pellick
12-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I turn a lot of cremation urns and the people like the threaded top,so I bought the Baxters Threadmaster,good investment.All the large urn's and the keepsake urn's have threaded tops.If you are going to turn a lot of urn's look into a threading jig they are not cheap,maybe you should look at a box.

David E Keller
12-19-2010, 10:11 PM
I've not done an urn per se, but I've done some hand threading. A set of chasers will set you back a little, and there's a bit of a learning curve. Use something like blackwood, boxwood, lignum, or holly for the mating parts if you're going to chase by hand... Hard dense woods are much easier to work with. As previously suggested, PVC parts can be utilized and eliminate the need for chasing threads all together. Good luck and please post your finished piece.