PDA

View Full Version : Work in Process

Scott Lux
12-18-2010, 6:09 PM
After my pendant binge, I decided to try a "real" bowl. This is only my second bowl bigger than 4".

Ash, 8.25" x 3", sanded to 600, no finish yet.

I was able to preserve the bug tracks with some very thin CA (Cyberbond 2004 is my new best friend). I'm not thrilled with the transition from wall to floor inside. But I guess I'm content with it.

Interesting lesson learned. If you have a low power lathe, maxing out the swing isn't fun. I could not take off more than a paper thin curl without bogging down. I suppose the upside is that I got a lot of practice on delicate finishing cuts. About 11 hours worth.

This is a present for my step-sis. Her mom and dad planted the ash in 1971. Hurricane Ike weakened it, and two months later another big wind took it out.

Comments and critiques please.

Dennis Ford
12-18-2010, 6:24 PM
Nice, your sister will love it.
If you are going to make many more that size, your wallet is about to suffer from the vortex.

Richard Madden
12-18-2010, 6:25 PM
Nice job Scott, sounds like you got some practice with those delicate cuts. It's a shame the tree came down, but nice to get some wood, and I'm sure your step-sister will love it.

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2010, 6:58 PM
Nice looking bowl Scott. It will be appreciated for sure.

John Keeton
12-18-2010, 7:26 PM
Scott, I believe you did well! Your step-sis will certainly be appreciative. I have a couple loads of ash firewood that is full of those bug tracks! Whatever they are, they love ash!

Mitchell Cholewinski
12-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Scott
Your doing a good job so far on the bowl, keep it going. Nice job. Mitch

Baxter Smith
12-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Pretty bowl and one with a history to the wood always makes it special! She will love it!

David E Keller
12-19-2010, 10:39 AM
That looks really good, but 11 hours?!? I feel a lathe upgrade in your future.

Scott Lux
12-20-2010, 5:09 PM
That looks really good, but 11 hours?!? I feel a lathe upgrade in your future.

No lathe upgrade in the foreseeable future. But no more bowls that size either.

Don Alexander
12-20-2010, 9:13 PM
i'm curious what speed you had that spinning at?
i know on my 12" Rikon in order to turn one that size i have to run the speed up to 1200 rpm or more as soon as i get it in balance (i get it as close as i can before i ever put it on the lathe) at slower speeds it tends to bog pretty easy ........ maybe thats what was going with yours?

Scott Lux
12-20-2010, 11:04 PM
i'm curious what speed you had that spinning at?
i know on my 12" Rikon in order to turn one that size i have to run the speed up to 1200 rpm or more as soon as i get it in balance (i get it as close as i can before i ever put it on the lathe) at slower speeds it tends to bog pretty easy ........ maybe thats what was going with yours?

I have a variable speed lathe, and this may be one of the cases where that cost me enough power to be noticeable. I tried the low and high ranges. The best seemed to be the high end of the low range, or about 800 rpm. In theory, the low range has the most torque (from a strictly mechanical perspective).

If I try another, and I found out tonight LOML wants one, I'll try the middle range. I'll see if there's a sweet-spot there.

Mark Hubl
12-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Scott,

Looks good so far. Should make a special gift considering the source of the wood. It is good to recognize that the transition in the bottom is not up to your liking. This is one of the toughest spots in a bowl, certainly for me. But remember, don't make the last cut. Very nice.

Don Alexander
12-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Scott;
i know what you mean about lower speeds supposed to have more torque , what i have found on my little Rikon lathe is that higher speed = more momentum = less bogging down of course its only got a 1/2 hp motor
i have turned some pretty good sized stuff on it though

BTW i like your Ash bowl

Don

Roland Martin
12-21-2010, 8:13 AM
Nice bowl Scott. She will most certainly love it.